none
Windows Media Player - Library Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have just changed the MP3 tags on a few songs in my very small library. I imagine that the changes will show up in WMP, but I don't know.

Can I force the changes to be recognized by WMP?

If I can't force them, will they ultimately show up in the library?

How long will that take, and is there some way I can keep track of it, other than opening WMP and looking at the library to see if the updates have been made?

(I see many old posts about problems like this. Maybe it's just a bug that has never been fixed.)

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please let us know how you change the MP3 tags. Third party tools will not refresh the library. You can refer to Updating Mp3 Tags?

To manually change the library, please try the following:

1. Click the Windows "Start" menu and click "All Programs." Click "Windows Media Player" to launch the media player.

2. Click the "Library" tab located on the top and click "Pictures" on the pop-up menu. Click "All Pictures" on the left panel under "Library." You should see all the pictures uploaded to the WMP library.

3. Right-click the picture you want to remove and click "Delete." Specify whether you want to remove the picture only from the WMP library or if you want to remove it from the library and the computer. Click "OK." To select multiple pictures, press and hold "CTRL" as you click each picture you want to remove. Right-click the selection and click "Delete." Select the delete option you want and click "OK."

More information: Remove items from the Windows Media Player Library

If you want to force update Windows Media Player, you can also try to rebuild Windows Media Player database.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.

2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.

3. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu. Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:29 AM

All replies

• How exactly are you changing the MP3 tags?

In most cases, the changes should show up in WMP's library almost instantly or after a few seconds.

The only way I know of to force an update, is to remove the file from WMP's library and then re-adding it.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

First, please let us know how you change the MP3 tags. Third party tools will not refresh the library. You can refer to Updating Mp3 Tags?

To manually change the library, please try the following:

1. Click the Windows "Start" menu and click "All Programs." Click "Windows Media Player" to launch the media player.

2. Click the "Library" tab located on the top and click "Pictures" on the pop-up menu. Click "All Pictures" on the left panel under "Library." You should see all the pictures uploaded to the WMP library.

3. Right-click the picture you want to remove and click "Delete." Specify whether you want to remove the picture only from the WMP library or if you want to remove it from the library and the computer. Click "OK." To select multiple pictures, press and hold "CTRL" as you click each picture you want to remove. Right-click the selection and click "Delete." Select the delete option you want and click "OK."

More information: Remove items from the Windows Media Player Library

If you want to force update Windows Media Player, you can also try to rebuild Windows Media Player database.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.

2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.

3. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu. Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:29 AM
  • I have similar problem with windows 10 media player the library does not update or show any music files

just tells me I have no music

I can go to files and play them 

tried deleting all player files

tried reinstalling player

nothing works 

even after playing songs they still do not appear in the library

Friday, April 6, 2018 11:49 PM
  • uncleron55: I suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Press Win+R, type services.msc, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Press Win+R, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs. 

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:19 PM