Outlook 2010 crash du PST file on server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the company i work, we have a big problem.

For some reason we don't know, some user have problem with Outlook 2010 and the pst files.

Some users who create and use PST files on the server has a lot of crashes. You can navigate on the archive, but after 1 or 2 minutes, the Outlook crash and it's impossible to restart Outlook or restart the computer. We have to push the button.

The only solution we find is to use the archive on the local drive. It works perfectly but the archive are not backup.

We use Windows 7 with office 32bits. Our server is Exchange 2010.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What's the exact meaning about "use PST files on the server" in your posting? Do you mean these users created a PST file in a file server or several users open a same PST file which is located in a network shared server in their Outlook clients?

Generally, Exchange 2010 also can enable Personal Archive for each user mailbox. The Archive mailbox is generally used to back up old items in Exchange database, and each client users can access their archive mailbox in OWA and Outlook (supported version). Since you are using Exchange mailbox, a server side archive is recommended:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979796(v=exchg.141).aspx

If you want to do the local archive by using Outlook feature, I suggest we can save the archived PST file in users' local machines instead of a shared network server in case there is any connection issue between Outlook and shared server.

If there is any confused, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the exact meaning about "use PST files on the server" in your posting? Do you mean these users created a PST file in a file server or several users open a same PST file which is located in a network shared server in their Outlook clients?

Generally, Exchange 2010 also can enable Personal Archive for each user mailbox. The Archive mailbox is generally used to back up old items in Exchange database, and each client users can access their archive mailbox in OWA and Outlook (supported version). Since you are using Exchange mailbox, a server side archive is recommended:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979796(v=exchg.141).aspx

If you want to do the local archive by using Outlook feature, I suggest we can save the archived PST file in users' local machines instead of a shared network server in case there is any connection issue between Outlook and shared server.

If there is any confused, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi sorry for the delay.

I didn't have the news on my mailbox.

About my first message, let me specified something :

- One user create an archive about a project. He create it by Outlook 2010 so when he open Outlook, the software open the archive. One user --> One archive.

Nobody open the same pst file at the same time.

Everytime we open Outlook, the Outlook crashed when we try to access to this pst file. It's really weird !!!

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:47 AM