none
Limit PMs view to only projects they own. RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running Project server 2007 and would like to limit our PMs to only view their own projects rather than all projects.  Please advise we currently have the following settings:

Manage Categories - My Projects -

under Projects section

All Current and future projects in project server db is checked

Apply the above Projet security permissions to all projects where:

Checked - The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within the Project

Checked - THe user is on that project's Project Team

Not Checked - The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS

Checked - A resource on the project's Projects Team is a descendant of the User via RBS

Not Checked - The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User

Thank you for any help.

Robert Self

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Select "Only the projects indicated" instead of "All current and future"

UNCHECK: The user is on that projects project team

UNCHECK: A resource on the project's Projects Team is a descendant of the User via RBS

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:46 PM
  • hi,

I also want to add to above reply

Select "only the project indicated" but do not add any of the project there.

also uncheck:the user is on that project team if only you dont want to project visible to Project team.

If you are using RBS then only use last three option otherwise no need to check them

you have check only:The User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within the Project

hope this helps

Nur Mondal
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Thanks these worked, but if I have resource managers that are in this same category, will they now only be able to see and assign resources to projects they own, or will or how will they be able to see all projects still to be able to assign resources to projects?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:16 PM
  • they would need to be in a group that was linked to a catagory that provided access to all projects and allowed the right permissions for building a team.

That is the flexibility of the model. a group can be linked to more than one category.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I have done as both you and Brian have suggested

Results from Brian's suggestion...

• My test account sees all of the projects that I selected, whether or not it has a task assigned.

Results from Nur's suggestion...

• My test account sees 1 of the projects, even though I didn't select any, that my test user doesn't have tasks on

Any ideas what permission settings I may have applied that's still allowing the test account to be able to view projects they don't have tasks for?

If I go this route, as admin I'll have to maintain the list of selected projects? anyway to automate that?  Thanks.

Also - We're not using RBS structure at this time.
    • Edited by bellsusan Monday, August 6, 2012 5:50 PM forgot to add something about RBS
    Monday, August 6, 2012 5:49 PM