none
Migrating Users,Computers,Group Policy from Root Domain to Child

Question

• Hello,

We are going to migrate users, computers ,Group Policy, OUs, from Root domain to New child domain Controller.

1. How will we migrate Users, from Root to Child: ADMT Works good but does the password will remain the same or no password will change for each user, and by changing UPN as frst it was user@root.local and migrating to user@child.root.local does user will still logon with the same user name with no changes.

2.By migrating Computers with ADMT does it will effect already Domain Joined Computers with root.local as these computer will be migrated to child.root.local domain.what will be the response of these computers.

3.How to migrate Group policy from root to child.

4.Can we migrate complete OU with user or no user will be done manually through ADMT or any best recommendation for migrating users?.

Thanks......

• Edited by Dev0099 Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:23 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• You can use PES (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974435%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) to do password migration. As for the login, it will be the one you will put on the destination account so you need to choose the UPN suffix that works fine for you. I have done migrations on computers using ADMT including profile migration and had no issues for around 2000 computers. However, it is advised to train yourself in a test environment before proceeding.

For GPOs, you can export them then create new ones and import the settings from what you have exported.

No OU migration could be done by ADMT. However, you can use Powershell to copy the OU structure. My script here could help if you tweak it: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Copy-Active-Directory-6cba32b3

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Friday, December 30, 2016 1:16 AM
  • User can be migrated with ADMT but after migration user setting changes like password no expiry changes to user must change password at logon...we dont need to change password ...does it possible with ADMT and PES.also upn suffice will change manullay..cannot change with ADMT..am i right or missing something.

2. Computers migration with ADMT. configured forweders on both sides of domain....agent installed successfully but after rebbot got dns error,client object in AD User and Computers copied to other domain but no login work.even cannot logon to old domain only name chnages to new domain after migration but not working...and does client IP will automatically changes to new dns or no we will manually changes the ip.

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

For your questions, please refer to the following links:

Migrated Users Get Prompted To Change Password at First Logon Even After Migrating Their Password with the PES

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2010/05/12/migrated-users-get-prompted-to-change-password-at-first-logon-even-after-migrating-their-password-with-the-pes/

ADMT When to Switch DNS on Clients

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f2bc6e07-f449-4cdf-90ea-647d82eb45e4/admt-when-to-switch-dns-on-clients?forum=winserverMigration

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:25 AM