Search in external directory RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any chance to search external company's directory from SfB client? Other company is also using SfB (Online) and I can add user if I know their SIP address.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

as the other mentions, you will need to have their full sip address to see their status. This requires Edge and federation to work.

Your task actually requires Exchange configuration and closest you get is : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/28332.steps-to-configure-cross-forest-availability-between-two-exchange-forests-in-exchange-2013.aspx

This guide is more for cross forest availability, but in the step it contains import and export of contacts.

Another workaround would be to bulk create contacts in external organization as local exchange contacts in your organization.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by JAN SLANSKY Friday, June 9, 2017 2:09 PM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 7:12 AM

All replies

• Both domains need an edge server and need to set up federation to be able to search each others directory and set up communications (audio, video, desktop/app sharing,...).

The key words you need to look for are "edge server" and "federation"

• Unproposed as answer by JAN SLANSKY Friday, June 9, 2017 2:09 PM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 11:56 PM
  • Hi JAN,

After you configure federation with external organization, we could search the specific external contact if we have known his/her SIP address. But we could not see external organization’s address book in your organization, even though we configure federation with this external organization.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Unproposed as answer by JAN SLANSKY Friday, June 9, 2017 2:09 PM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

as the other mentions, you will need to have their full sip address to see their status. This requires Edge and federation to work.

Your task actually requires Exchange configuration and closest you get is : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/28332.steps-to-configure-cross-forest-availability-between-two-exchange-forests-in-exchange-2013.aspx

This guide is more for cross forest availability, but in the step it contains import and export of contacts.

Another workaround would be to bulk create contacts in external organization as local exchange contacts in your organization.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Marked as answer by JAN SLANSKY Friday, June 9, 2017 2:09 PM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 7:12 AM