Steady State user restrictions Vs. Database access... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a situation and need some ideas.
    I have a workgroup environment with a central server runnng 2003.  On this server are our user accounts for access to various shared resources, one of which is a FoxPro designed database application.
    We have users with mapped drives to the shared folders on the server for the database.

What we would like to do is utilize steady state in away that allows us to use a couple of XP pro PCs to access the same database but with all other features of windows turned off.  We need to restrict ALL access to the network and other files within the PC from the steady state prifile we create...yet allow network access for the application itself.
    Before I experiment with these profiles and permissions, I would like to know if this sounds plausible?
    We do not have the luxury of a lab or a virtual environment for trial and error.
    Essentially, the user will login remotely \ have an icon for the database application \ be able to access networked files via the application \ yet have no other network access.

Thank You for any help you can provide.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Hillard, I’d like to inform you that this can be achieved by using Windows SteadyState. Though we also do not have such kind of test lab to demonstrate the current environment, if you encounter any issue with SteadyState, please feel free to post in the forum.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:19 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:38 AM