Office 2003 crash when using copy and paste Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been able to reproduce this error on 3 different machines each brand new clean installs. Both Windows and Office are fully up to date with the lastest patches. 

I am having problems with Work, Excel and Outlook crashing when coping and pasting. In the event log the faulting module is always the program you were using when you tried to copy and paste. 

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that do you have any add-ins installed in Microsoft Office 2003? If so, I would like to suggest you uninstall them to test the issue.

I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to remove the possible third party software conflicts.

You may also try to run a third party tool, ShellExView to disable the non-Microsoft shell extensions which should be displayed in pink color.

In addition, I recommend you discuss this issue in Microsoft Office for IT Professionals forum. This forum is more familiar with the such Microsoft Office issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that do you have any add-ins installed in Microsoft Office 2003? If so, I would like to suggest you uninstall them to test the issue.

I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to remove the possible third party software conflicts.

You may also try to run a third party tool, ShellExView to disable the non-Microsoft shell extensions which should be displayed in pink color.

In addition, I recommend you discuss this issue in Microsoft Office for IT Professionals forum. This forum is more familiar with the such Microsoft Office issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since my previous suggestions was posted and I'm writing to find out if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you need my further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Arthur,

I am having the same troubles here.  Excel 2003, Windows 7 x64, no add-ins installed.  If a single cell is copied, no crash.  If more than 1 cell is copied, the app crashed.

For now my work around is to use OpenOffice.

Edit: This crash appears to occur when Office and Excel are open at the same time.  I believe the issue is related to the multi-clipboard.  Is there a way to have office use the standard clipboard like other applications?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hey Arthur,

The issue is persistent day to day. And I have confirmed it to still randomly happen even after clean boots. I tried what you had suggested and disabled all non Microsoft shell extensions and am still experiencing the same issues. It seems everytime I click on a cell and control + c excel hangs. 

Friday, August 13, 2010 8:34 PM
  • I have the Word and Excel 2003 crashing on copy/pastes issue as well on Win7 x64 as well, tested Office 2003 SP1 and SP3.  No, there are no add-ins, clean install from a share, same package that we have used since 2003.

Brand-new computers- Win 7 patched, Office SP3 fully patched.  Computer example: Dell Latitude E4310.

Procedure to replicate: Start Excel.  Type something in a cell and copy and paste it somewhere else in the same worksheet.  Close Excel.  Open Excel.  Paste.  It will give the error "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data."  Put data in a cell.  Copy/paste it somewhere else on the sheet.  "Excel will give an error message that it does not have enough memory (even though this file is tiny, 3GB RAM free, etc., and/or just crash ("an application stopped working" message.

Here's the crash data from the Application Event Log (this is on an SP1 install for testing):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          8/25/2010 4:46:04 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      [redacted]

Description:
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002e46e
    Faulting process id: 0x171c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb44afa79bbec0
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Report Id: ec00a209-b0a2-11df-982c-0024d7351f88
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-25T23:46:04.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3410</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>PC206.chem-tronics.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0002e46e</Data>
        <Data>171c</Data>
        <Data>01cb44afa79bbec0</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>ec00a209-b0a2-11df-982c-0024d7351f88</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:49 PM
  • I am moving my question to this thread in the Office area, as suggested:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/b96c4e94-ded6-44b8-a398-dd2e8d80e06e 

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:54 AM