Agent Version Check fails on Non-Domain Members (Script or Executable Failed to Run - AgentMinRequiredVersionCheck.vbs) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Recently I did an update of the installed management packs. One of these updates was the MP for OpsMgr itself.

Since this update I get regularly 'Script or Executable Failed to Run' Alerts concerning the workflow name 'Microsoft.SystemCenter.Agent.Configuration.MinRequiredVersionCheckMonitor'.

Alert Description:

The process started at 09:51:13 failed to create System.PropertyBagData, no errors detected in the output. The process exited with 0
    Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "AgentMinRequiredVersionCheck.vbs" [hostname] 6.1.7221.0
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 16\1859\
    One or more workflows were affected by this.
    Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.Agent.Configuration.MinRequiredVersionCheckMonitor
    Instance name: [hostname]
    Instance ID: {061DFE75-8692-D8EA-D9D4-1220A5C39179}

I decided to note down the affected servers. Then I took a look on this Visual Basic Script file to get the facts and tasks of this script.

On line 72 you can see, that the scripts fetches the version of a registry value.

70	Set oReg = MOMCreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    71 key = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Setup\"
    72 value = "AgentVersion"
    73 agentVersion = oReg.RegRead(key & value)
    74 If Err.Number <> 0 Then

I looked up this value on the affected server and I couldn't find this value. Now it seems, that this value - called 'AgentVersion' only exists on domain-members. On non-domain servers this version is stored in 'MOMGatewayVersion'.

Now my question, how can I correct this issue? Or where to could I make a report to Microsoft?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Reto

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:58 PM

Answers

• Yes that's right. I'm only seeing this alert on servers which are managed by the gateway server.

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Thank you Reto for letting us know about this issue.  This is not something that we had encountered to date so we will investigate it further.

One thing I'd like to confirm, are you only seeing this failure occur on gateway management servers?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:59 PM

All replies

• Let's look at your scenario - are you using the gateway to agentless manage non-domain-joined servers?  I'll forward this to the right people on the Operations Manager team.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Yes the non-domain servers (workgroup) are getting monitored with the Gateway Server. So I installed the "Gateway-Version" of the OpsMgr Agent on these servers.

Thanks for your effort!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Thank you Reto for letting us know about this issue.  This is not something that we had encountered to date so we will investigate it further.

One thing I'd like to confirm, are you only seeing this failure occur on gateway management servers?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Yes that's right. I'm only seeing this alert on servers which are managed by the gateway server.

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Troubleshooting this script is also difficult as it does not throw out any errors.

Even on the first condition wich is supposed to verify two comamndline arguments. The script just silently exist with no output.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:53 AM