Is Vista Ultimate 64bits supports Multi-CPU (not multicore) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I wonder if someone knows if Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits supports motherboards that have more than 1 cpu (server boards) like that board from asus?:

ASUS QUAD AMD NFORCE PRO  (KFN5-Q/SAS)

The only informations that I've found since now are related to multo-core cpu but I plan to buy a server board to run 2 or 4 quad-core and I'll prefer to use Vista (if compatible) instead of Windows Server 2003

Thanks

Monday, March 3, 2008 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hello Francois,

I don’t think Windows Vista Ultimate can support 4 physical processors.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions support dual processors (not counting individual processor cores).

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Ok thanks for your quick answer.  

As I understand, I'll be able to run two quad-core processors without problem.  What about the boards that can have 4 processors, is it supported too?

Thanks

Francois

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Hello Francois,

I don’t think Windows Vista Ultimate can support 4 physical processors.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:22 AM
  • But If one has a machine with Intel Quadcore and it's delivered with Home Premium, not all the CPU power is used? And that will be available if updating to Ultimate?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:55 PM
  •  KoZe wrote:

But If one has a machine with Intel Quadcore and it's delivered with Home Premium, not all the CPU power is used? And that will be available if updating to Ultimate?

The quad core CPU is one physical processor, but 4 cores. Vista Ultimate can support 2 physical processors, so theoretically you can have 2 quad core processors supported (8 cores total, which is possible with the Intel Skulltrail motherboard).

All that processing power would be used. And it would be nice!
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:59 AM