RedHat 6.2 and LinuxIC v3.2 create a virbr0 network interface? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a vanilla install of RedHat server 6.2 x64 (I selected the Software Development Workstation option at install time).  The first thing I installed was Linux Integration Services 3.2, which installed without problems.  lsmod showed the hv_* modules very similar to the Read Me pdf.

I rebooted and then ran ifconfig as root and did not find eth0 but rather virbr0.  I don't much care that it's not called eth0, but it doesn't show up in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts and it doesn't show up in the Network Connections GUI.  So I can't figure out how to configure it for its static ip address.

A few other observations:

1. When I use Hyper-V to "insert a CD/DVD" and point it to the iso file, RedHat auto-mounts it at /media/CDROM.  To get your install.sh script to work, I had to manually umount and re-mount the iso at /media.  If RedHat already mounts it at /media/CDROM, I suggest updating your install script to use that location instead.
    2. The Network Connections GUI is no longer in System > Administration > Networking.  It is now in System > Preferences > Network Connections.
    3. The installation process is much, MUCH easier than it was in v2.1, which I appreciate!  Keep up the good work!

Can you please help me figure out how to configure eth0/virbr0?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:48 PM

Answers

• Correct, it will work, but using the older Legacy Network Adapter will incur a much higher CPU utilization cost.

Let me dig into what is adding the virbr0 interface.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Additionally, to configure the synthetic NIC, shut down the VM, and then remove the legacy and add a regular network adapter. Then, add a file /etc/sysconfig/network with the following:

NETWORKING=yes

Then, add a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with the following (assuming you're using DHCP):

DEVICE=eth0

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Then, start networking (ifup eth0 as root) and you should be good to go.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hyper-V doesn't require the use of virbrX. I suspect one of the virtualization-related packages was installed. Can you check if any of the following packages are installed?

virt-manager

gnome-applet-vm

libvirt

As far as #1 and #2 - I'll make sure to make the changes in my documentation. Thanks for the notes!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Hyper-V doesn't require the use of virbrX. I suspect one of the virtualization-related packages was installed. Can you check if any of the following packages are installed?

virt-manager

gnome-applet-vm

libvirt

As far as #1 and #2 - I'll make sure to make the changes in my documentation. Thanks for the notes!

Mike,

I re-installed RH Server 6.2 using the basic server (headless) install.  Again, I installed Linux IC v3.2 with no problems.  Rebooted.  Then ran "lsmod | grep hv" and saw results similar to the readme.pdf.

ifconfig shows only the loopback (lo) adapter.

rpm -qa | grep virt

turns up only one package: virt-what-1.11-1.1.el6.x86_64

What should I try now?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Here's another interesting thing to note.

I shut down the server and reconfigured the VM, removing the network adapter and giving it a legacy network adapter.  Then I re-installed the server as a "Software Development Workstation" like the first time, only I removed all Virtualization install groups.

My network now works -- without installing Integration Services for Linux at all.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Correct, it will work, but using the older Legacy Network Adapter will incur a much higher CPU utilization cost.

Let me dig into what is adding the virbr0 interface.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Additionally, to configure the synthetic NIC, shut down the VM, and then remove the legacy and add a regular network adapter. Then, add a file /etc/sysconfig/network with the following:

NETWORKING=yes

Then, add a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with the following (assuming you're using DHCP):

DEVICE=eth0

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Then, start networking (ifup eth0 as root) and you should be good to go.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:08 AM