none
0xc00002e2 On all DCs after leaving them off for about 3 months

Question

• back in October I used Disk2VHD to take copies of all my domain controllers and load them into a Hyper-V lab.  I had no issues working with them back then.

yesterday I attempted to start them up and work with them but they all failed on booting with a Stop error 0xc00002e2.

I attempted to take to original VHDX file from October and rebuild the lab, but each server produced the same error.

I understand this has to do with some corruption or issue with the AD database, but because its happened to all 3 and I am trying to figure out if its simply because they have been offline for so long or there is some underlying issue I am unaware of.

I've left DCs offline in a lab environment before for longer and had no issue restarting it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

FYI - They are all 2012R2 in Windows 2003 mode.

Friday, February 03, 2017 3:30 PM

All replies

• You posted c00002e2 which == "Directory Services could not start because of the following error" I think it is what follows that defines further as to why it happens.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 03, 2017 3:40 PM
  • It actually doesn't say anything helpful.  I get: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: 0xc00002e2.

Do you have a reference?  Strange that all 3 are doing the same thing.

Friday, February 03, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Probably the only way to get to the bottom of cause is to startup in directory service restore mode and check logs, etc.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816897(v=ws.10).aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 03, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Actually that helped!  I found this error here.

Event ID: 1918
    Description: The shadow copy service cannot restore Active Directory because the shadow copy used is too old.   Shadow copy expiration date:

Once in DSRM I changed the clock back to November and viola booted no problem.  I try the others and see if I can get it to update to the current date now that its actually running.

Friday, February 03, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Friday, February 03, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Yes thanks, I wonder why I've not encountered this issue before as I often build Domain Controllers in a lab environments and not run then for several months.
    Friday, February 03, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Could have been a tombstone lifetime setting or even just free disk space for shadow copy operation. These ones may also help.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816924(WS.10).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794960(WS.10).aspx

Friday, February 03, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 7:38 AM