Long doc - need to delete or change nutty styles - but no way to see instances easily RRS feed

• Question

•  

Word stinks for lawyers.  Every version of Word I have seen (from 97 to O365 Home) is worse than was WordPerfect in 1996 !!  Why?  Styles.  Styles are not a 'feature"; they are a disaster.

NO ONE does styles correctly.  Every legal document emailed back and forth and revised by two or more lawyers and secretaries quickly becomes a huge mess of badly created custom styles and worse manual formatting.

Since I am the ONLY lawyer who has learned anything about styles, it falls to me to clean up a long doc before it becomes corrupted and unusable.

So, now I find (after looking) that there is NO WAY to cycle through incidents of a particular style easily.  (Office 2016 in this case.)  Yes, I looked in the Styles pane and did the drop-down arrow next to a listed style and it says, for example, 17 instances of that style.  When I click on that 17 instances line, the center pane of my screen shows me - maybe (not clear and not always) -- the first of those instances in the text of the doc, shaded grey.  BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO "SEE NEXT INSTANCE".

Yes, I know about CTRL + H and inserting a style into "Find", but when there are SO MANY dumb styles in the doc, that takes way too long and requires way too many steps.

All the MS engineers who designed and "improved" Word are functionally illiterate.  Certainly they never consulted lawyers the way Corel did when it created WordPerfect.  The MS engineers should go back to the playground and stay there.

• Edited by glnzglnz Tuesday, March 31, 2020 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi glnzglnz,

Thanks for your sharing and feedback. 

To let developers to hear your voice better, I would like to suggest you post the feedback to Microsoft Word's UserVoice forum. You may create a new post or upvote any related post that already exists. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, I find an article "Preventing Styles from Changing", maybe you could have a look. (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 2:44 AM
  • It seems to me the real problem is users' refusal to learn how to use Word properly. For the recidivists, Word provides the option to apply editing restrictions to limit formatting to that provided by a pre-defined set of Styles.

Don't blame the tools when they're not used properly. Yes, Word's Styles can be used or abused, but those who allow them to be abused by others have only themselves (and their firms) to blame.

You may also be interested in: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:36 AM
  •   Emily - I posted at your link.  Thanks for suggestion. 

Needless to say, I do not expect MS to do anything to make it easier to cycle through all instances of a style.

glnzglnz
    ☺ In the office, Dell Optiplex 7040 with 8GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit and Office 2016
    ☻ At home, Dell Optiplex 7010 with 16GB RAM dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit (both with Office 365 Home)
    ♥ Also still have Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB RAM with Win XP Pro SP3 (which got updates through April 2019 with the POS hack) and Office 2003

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 1:47 PM
  • See if you find https://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/style_report_addin.html useful.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:08 PM
  • Hi glnzglnz,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

To help close this thread, would you please mark the replies as answers if they are helpful? Thank you for understanding!

If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:07 AM