child domain checks parent domain sysvol for policies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am in a multidomain environment. on one of these domains when we run "Gpupdate  /force" we get this error:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\ParentDomain.com\SysVol\parentdomain.com\Policies\{297437EC-D3A2-4BE2-A773-024E3BB34DE3}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved.

Now the question is why it want to access parents sysvol and not it's own sysvol to read the policies?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, May 23, 2020 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing here!

If possible , would you please tell what the policy 297437EC-D3A2-4BE2-A773-024E3BB34DE3 for ?

When you run gpresult /h, any error messages occurred ?

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 25, 2020 1:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Thanks for your reply

I checked, there is no policy with given unique id ({297437EC-D3A2-4BE2-A773-024E3BB34DE3}\) neither in child domain's sysvol nor in parent domain's sysvol.

what to check next?

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

I would recommend you enable the GPSVC log to see what happened during the policy update progress.

For your reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2015/04/17/a-treatise-on-group-policy-troubleshootingnow-with-gpsvc-log-analysis/

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Fan

Monday, June 1, 2020 5:42 AM
  • hello 

No there is not explicit answer here. I read the document but no luck.

Monday, June 8, 2020 4:43 PM
  • I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

If there is no progress, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Best Regards,
    Fan

Monday, June 8, 2020 11:44 PM