after i rebooted my pc i get error message cannot create file c:\hp\bin\setres.log. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi my soon rebooted my pc by mistake which is fine cause iv done the same thing once or twice (pressed f10). once i go through all the set up again it starts to load then i get error message setres 2.4.0.0 cannot creat file c:\hp\bin\setres.log. once i press ok it states thats computers not installed properly and tells me to reboot again. iv tried rebooting 2 more times but still get the same error message. can anyone help me asap im on windows xp. iv rebooted my comp before and never had this problem. Thanks
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• restart the computer in safe mode using advance startup options(press f8 continously while the pc is booting)

select safemode, see if the error occurs. while in safemode check eventviewer under control panel and let us know the errors in the system log

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Please let me know if you get any help with this.  I have the same issue right now, and I can't figure it out.  I got this after I reinstalled the OS after getting a Trojan Virus.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:22 PM
  • restart the computer in safe mode using advance startup options(press f8 continously while the pc is booting)

select safemode, see if the error occurs. while in safemode check eventviewer under control panel and let us know the errors in the system log

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Hi

My wife got a nasty virus, one of the virus protection ones which for so much they will release the hold they have on your comp if your lucky and they just don't pocket the cash and your still *******. So i did a system recovery and got the error SetRes2.4.0.0  cannot create file c:\hp\bin\SetRes.log then all you can do is hit ok or close the window and it then tries to continue and just stalls. I get past recovery complete and go through the beginning of windows setup( set country.time,want to Reg, & check internet Connection). I have redone the recovery alot of times, tried also last known config, safe mode and nothing works. I'm confused though if recovery is complete why would i get a hp fail ? and if so i'm guessing a windows xp disk won't work. Please help.

Comp : Compaq Presario sr1230nx .

It seems like this is becoming a common problem as of late. saw posts from march & apri about this happening to others so i'm hoping HP now has a fix for it.

Thank you everyone for atleast reading this trying to help me

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Produs,

I am experiencing exactly the same as you so would be interested to hear if you had any success.

Thanks

Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:15 PM
  • I have the same problem!  Did restarting in Safe Mode repair?  If not, how did you resolve.

I also have a Compaq Presario  model SR1830NX

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:01 PM