Windows Defender fail to turn on Error Code:0x800106ba RRS feed

• Question

• I looked up the error code and found the explanation that the systems license has expired and logon request is denied.

Is it true? Is it because Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft?

I just want to make sure that the Windows Defender is supposed to work before I follow the info on the Internet to debug the problem.

• Edited by healee Friday, March 6, 2020 9:20 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2020 9:17 AM

All replies

• In cmd type: services.msc  in msc scroll to Defender/double click/set to Auto start,start service,exit msc & cmd.In control-panel,Defender,check for updates,then run Defender.This being youre OS is Active...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

And or run Microsoft Safety Scanner at link,it has Defender software,but only runs for 10 days

Saturday, March 7, 2020 2:27 AM
  • Defender is nowhere to be seen.

Regarding the scanner, would I be able to download and use it again after 10 days?
    Saturday, March 7, 2020 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

To begin with, do you have other security software installed such as Microsoft Security Essentials, McAfee, Norton, etc.? Because Windows Defender is disabled by other antivirus/antispyware programs to prevent a conflict. The error you've reported is usually seen when the service has been disabled because another security program has been installed.

If this, try to uninstall the other security software and check if the problem still happens.

Besides, check to make sure the Windows Defender service is started and the status is set to Automatic. Please refer to the following steps:

• Click on Start button, then select Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools, and double click on Services applet. Alternatively, simply type “Services” (without quotes) in Start Search box.
    • If User Account Control asks for permission, click Continue.
    • Locate an service named Windows defender . Right click on Windows defender, and then select Properties on contextual menu.
    • On the Startup Type dropdown box, select Automatic .
    • Click on Start button to start the service immediately.
    • Reboot your computer and see if you are still getting the Windows Defender error message 80016ba.

For your reference

Windows Defender Error Code 0x800106ba

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/windows-defender-error-code-0x800106ba/ff3fba80-c77d-4391-8b04-ad673882a194

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, March 9, 2020 9:06 AM
  • Also, since windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft,  I highly recommend that you upgrade your PC to Windows 10.

For more specific details, you can refer to the following links:

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020

Best Regards,

Kiki

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Monday, March 9, 2020 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Just check if it helps.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kiki

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 2:03 AM
  • I've just checked. I've found I do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. But the Security Essentials I understand is an antivirus program and Defender is an antispyware program. How come they can't co-exist?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2020 2:49 AM
  • Will Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender on Windows 7 still be supported in spite of the status of the Windows 7 operating system?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2020 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

No. Microsoft Security Essentials reached end of service on January 14, 2020 and is no longer available as a download.

For your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17150/windows-7-what-is-microsoft-security-essentials

Best Regards,

Kiki

Monday, March 16, 2020 8:45 AM
  • However it says Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023. Can you please confirm that Security Essentials is antivirus software and Defender is antispyware software please? If they’re, how come they’re cannot co-exist?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 7:44 AM