2012 upgrade question, number of servers, SCOM, Forefront RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bit of confusion on how many servers I need to migrate from SCCM 2007 to 2012. I read many articles about upgrading the primary site side by side and the two DP servers I am using now. I am confused about SCOM, FSP and the 2003 Forefront Server. All other server are currently 2008R2. 

So my question, will I have to keep the Forefront and SCOM server or do these get integrated into the SCCM 2012 server?

Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Forefront Server has been discontinued and replaced by System Center Endpoint Protection Protection (SCEP). This is a ConfigMgr role now. SCOM is unrelated. You maintain that separately.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Thanks Gerry,

So when I upgrade from 2007 to SCCM 2012 I can shut down the old forefront server because it is a new role in SCCM 2012?

as for SCOM I need to keep that server or build a new one?

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:43 PM
  • 1. Yes. You will not need Forefront. Note that SCEP will have a different client.

2. You can do what you like with SCOM. Keep the current server or upgrade. This is not related to ConfigMgr.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:46 PM
  • thank you,

So I can by pass Forefront Endpoint Protection and go directly to SCEP?

I better get reading the documentation on that one.

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:52 PM