none
Issues with Enterprise vs Custom Enterprise fields RRS feed

  • Question

  • In Project Server 2003 when we set it up we Customized the Enterprise fields.  For example,  In MS Project Server 2003 we went into the Customize Enterprise Fields and selected Field Task, then in the drop down selected Flag.  That came up and gave us Enterprise Flag1 through Enterprise Flag20.  We selected Enterprise Flag1, added a graphical Indicator and then clicked on the Rename button to rename it to Cobra Xfer.  So when they were using this field it would display in their project as Cobra Xfer but in macros we could refer to the field as pjTaskEnterpriseFlag1 and everything was working great.  We converted to Project Server 2010 and apparently it converted the Customized Enterprise fields to Custom Enterprise Fields so when you into PWA under Server Settings and select Enterprise Custom Fields we see all of the fields as we had renamed them (not the original name as Enterprise Flag1 but I can still reference that field in macros as Enterprise Flag1.  The issue is that when we go into Enterprise Custom Fields we could not edit any of those fields, so if a formula changed or if we wanted to change the graphic indicator we couldn't do it, we would get a very generic error message.  We decided to try creating Project Server 2010 from scratch instead of migrating the data over.  I created the custom fields Cobra Xfer among others but when we bring in a spreadsheet that was created in the old system, nothing shows up in the Cobra Xfer field.  If we insert a column and type in (because we can't select it from the drop down list when inserting a column) Enterprise Flag1 then the data shows up.  So it is acting like the enterprise fields still exists and in the project from the old system the data is stored in the Enterprise Flag1 field even though in the project it shows Cobra Xfer, but the formatting of the field is not there.  The formatting of the field is with the Custom Enterprise Field Cobra Xfer.  In Project Server 2003 I was able to rename the Enterprise Flag1 field, In Project 2010 how do I either custom the Enterprise Flag1 field to add the graphic indicators and rename or how do I link or create an aliases of that field to the Custom Enterprise Field Cobra Xfer?   Thank you,  Casey
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:58 PM

Answers

  • I think you just have to copy the data into the new Cobra Xfer field and then retire the Enterprise Flag1 field.  You can do that by copy/pasting or through using a simple macro.

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

    • Marked as answer by Casey Marx Monday, September 8, 2014 1:49 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 2:36 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • I think you just have to copy the data into the new Cobra Xfer field and then retire the Enterprise Flag1 field.  You can do that by copy/pasting or through using a simple macro.

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

    • Marked as answer by Casey Marx Monday, September 8, 2014 1:49 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 2:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank you Andrew, we had thought of that.  However, we have several schedulers each with several different project schedules and the example that I gave is only one but we have 20-30 fields that were set up the same way that we had set up the Cobra Xfer field, so I was hoping for a quicker way.  Even with a macro it will take time to convert all of the schedules.  In addition to converting the schedules we have many macros that refer to the Enterprise fields so all of those would have to be modified. 

    From what I've read it was much easier to refer to the Enterprise fields then it is to refer to the Custom Enterprise field.  In the macros we referred to the Enterprise Flag1 field as pjTaskEnterpriseFlag1, so in the code it is CobraStatus = pjTaskEnterpriseFlag1.  However, from what I can tell I would have to use a two step process to get the value out of the custom Cobra Xfer field.  I believe I would have do something like:  TaskField = FieldNameToFieldConstant("Cobra Xfer", pjTask)   --- to get the field number then CobraStatus = t.GetField(TaskField)  -- to actually get the value of the field. 

    I'm really looking for an easier way to get what we use to have without a lot of rework in copying the values from the old Enterprise fields into the new Custom Enterprise fields and without having to re-write the macros.

    Thanks,  Casey

    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Andrew,

    Sorry it took so long for me to follow-up with this.  We did end up having to do what you suggested.  I wrote a macro that took all of the "old" Custom Enterprise fields and copied the data to the "new" Custom Enterprise Fields.  In addition to the macro to do this copy, the scheduler's had to go into each of their in views and local custom fields and update any references to those custom Enterprise fields.

    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my initial inquiry back in February.  I was looking for an easier way, but as it turned out creating the macro was not that difficult.  And updating the other custom macros turned out not to be that big of an issue either.

    Thanks,

    Casey

    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:54 PM