locked
IE 8 dislikes DNS... RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm running Windows 7 and attempting to use Internet Explorer 8. When I try to get a webpage (say, www.google.com), it sits and loads all day. It never returns an error or anything. Opening a command prompt and trying to use ping doesn't work, unless you specify an address, rather than a hostname. Ok, so DNS is down. Restarting the computer and trying the ping test first works, i.e., there is DNS resolution. Upon starting Internet Explorer, however, poof! DNS disappears.

    Ok, so I've got no DNS. No problem - I can just use the Ip (v4) address, right? Nope, IE8 sits and loads on that too.

    I'm running Windows 7 professional and have absolutely nothing else installed.

    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:39 PM

Answers

  • Ok, so I've got no DNS. No problem - I can just use the Ip (v4) address, right? Nope, IE8 sits and loads on that too.

    Google may be a bad example to test with, depending on your locale.   E.g. the lookup that you are trying might be fine but there might be a redirect involved after that which would be the problem.   Then a better check for connectivity would be to use  telnet to the host name's port 80.   E.g. that would at least involve the correct protocol than using ICMP which these days is problematic as many servers block its use.   In any case, using the IP address would probably only help load the first file.   E.g. other files could refer to the host name instead of the IP address and then you would see your symptom on their GETs--especially if scripting were involved, which again, in the case of Google, is highly likely.   You really need to do a trace to see what is going on--HTTP at least and since your DNS seems to be a problem, TCP too, so ports 53 and 80.   However, if DNS is really dependent on IE as you are indicating you should do some scans for malware.   I have often wondered if tracing in the presence of malware can act as a workaround to its effects, so, who knows, if you trace, IE may start working properly.   <eg>

     
    HTH

     
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by Spencer Xi Monday, January 14, 2013 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

  • Google has dropped support for ie8,

    I don't know if this is your issue or not,

    I thought it was only for signed in google services/ gmail...............didn't think it would effect google search ?

    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Ok, so I've got no DNS. No problem - I can just use the Ip (v4) address, right? Nope, IE8 sits and loads on that too.

    Google may be a bad example to test with, depending on your locale.   E.g. the lookup that you are trying might be fine but there might be a redirect involved after that which would be the problem.   Then a better check for connectivity would be to use  telnet to the host name's port 80.   E.g. that would at least involve the correct protocol than using ICMP which these days is problematic as many servers block its use.   In any case, using the IP address would probably only help load the first file.   E.g. other files could refer to the host name instead of the IP address and then you would see your symptom on their GETs--especially if scripting were involved, which again, in the case of Google, is highly likely.   You really need to do a trace to see what is going on--HTTP at least and since your DNS seems to be a problem, TCP too, so ports 53 and 80.   However, if DNS is really dependent on IE as you are indicating you should do some scans for malware.   I have often wondered if tracing in the presence of malware can act as a workaround to its effects, so, who knows, if you trace, IE may start working properly.   <eg>

     
    HTH

     
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by Spencer Xi Monday, January 14, 2013 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:33 PM
    Answerer