Windows 7 Startup Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Basically, once every 4/5 times I start up the computer, the computer will hang at the 'Starting Windows' screen with no changes.

When I reboot I get the Start-up repair option, which usually fixes it, however, it will take me back to a previous state.

Any particular reasons its does this? I think it happens after Win 7 updates aswell, Ive tried manually updating and repairing the OS using the CD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:38 PM

Answers

• I've seen these kind of issues when a system looses power, either accidently or on purpose by the operator, in which the system loses power while performing critical updates (the system forwarns to not power off the system while it's updating).

Another thing it could be is wacky drivers not loading fully. Without any kind of error log or the bootlog for which step & driver(s) is being loaded while it hangs it's pretty hard to tell.

Try booting it up and login and go to Run and then key in msconfig. Modify the msconfig boot options under the Boot tab, and check the No Gui boot & the Boot Log options, this will show you the drivers as they're loaded during bootup so you can see which one, if at all, it's hanging on. You'll then be able to use the msconfig Startup tab option to make this affending driver not startup.

• Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 8, 2010 2:28 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• I've seen these kind of issues when a system looses power, either accidently or on purpose by the operator, in which the system loses power while performing critical updates (the system forwarns to not power off the system while it's updating).

Another thing it could be is wacky drivers not loading fully. Without any kind of error log or the bootlog for which step & driver(s) is being loaded while it hangs it's pretty hard to tell.

Try booting it up and login and go to Run and then key in msconfig. Modify the msconfig boot options under the Boot tab, and check the No Gui boot & the Boot Log options, this will show you the drivers as they're loaded during bootup so you can see which one, if at all, it's hanging on. You'll then be able to use the msconfig Startup tab option to make this affending driver not startup.

• Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 8, 2010 2:28 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, Ive tried it, now gotta give it a test period, will come back with results.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:16 PM