Forefront doesn't update before datastore.edb gets a certain size RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

In our organization we are pushing Forefront Signature Updates via the WSUS servers.
    When a new Forefront client is deployed, the windows update process (wuauclt) is creating a datastore file at
    c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\datastore.edb

We noticed Forefront does not receive any new virus definitions before the datastore.edb file is app. ~ 108 MB.
    It does not grow to that size after a single windows update trigger (wuauclt /detectnow), but it sometimes needs about 10  / 15 triggers
    before it grows to that size.
    Once it has that size it updates Forefront and everything is fine.

The strange thing is that I haven't seen any workstation before where a datastore.edb is so big.
    Normally it is arround the 20 / 30 MB.

Because this situation leads to the point that a new forefront client does get its first dat update after a few days because it needs so much windows update triggers to get the datastore build.

Can anybody explain this or give tips to improve this situation ?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:32 PM

Answers

• Honestly can't say I've ever seen this.  I would open a case with us specifically start with the WSUS team and see what they have to say about this.  If you take the client out manually to Microsoft Update does it see FCS definitions as available?
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:43 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• Honestly can't say I've ever seen this.  I would open a case with us specifically start with the WSUS team and see what they have to say about this.  If you take the client out manually to Microsoft Update does it see FCS definitions as available?
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:43 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Have you recently ran a Server Cleanup wizard on the wSUS server?
    Oguzhan Filizlibay | Security Escalation Engineer | Microsoft EMEA CSS Security
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:39 PM