Outlook 2010 - People Pane preview RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Outlook 2010 / Windows 7 - Exchange 2010, in some cases "People Pane Preview" shows data for some end user but not all.   I re-did my outlook profile, re-indexed and still for some people - "there are no items to show in the view" - How can one tell if indexing is completed?   I searched many threads and there really isn't no direct answers or solutions for this.

Thanks in advance

• Moved by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:17 AM off topic (From:Clients)
    • Moved by Max Meng Friday, September 21, 2012 2:04 AM moving to a more a appropriate (From:Word IT Pro Discussions)
    • Moved by Tony Chen CHN Friday, September 21, 2012 2:27 AM (From:Outlook IT Pro Discussions)
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Outlook Social Connector (People Pane) can display your colleagues' available activity items if you are in an organization that uses Outlook 2010 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2010.

Generally, if the message sender is out of our organization, People Pane could not display the information. So please verify the problematic users/contacts to see if they are the internal contacts.

Refer to:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/introduction-to-the-outlook-social-connector-HA010361857.aspx#_Toc260320342

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_install/outlook-2010-people-pane-not-working/595db9e1-5bb9-4293-9093-f94051f0e836

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Fiona_Liao Friday, September 14, 2012 5:51 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply and the information.    All of the end user I am trying to get data in the people pane are within my organization.    Isn't the social connector for facebook and other media sites which won't be what I want anyways.    Some of the end users data is showing up in my people pan but others are not.    It isn't very clear why some would show up while others won't.     Do I need the social connector for internal users?

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:51 AM
  • Hi Sabo,

I appreciate your understanding that this is Exchange server forum. The socia connector for facebook and other media sites is more about Outlook feature, so I will help you move this question to Outlook forum. Hope the question can be addressed more efficiently.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Hi Sabo,

It seems that we are encountered the issue of No data in People pane currently. Have you tried to re-create a new profile and switch your account to Exchange cache mode? And please make sure the option "download shared folders" checked. (the option is under File>Account Settings>E-mail tab>Change...(account) button>more settings button>advanced tab).

In addtion, please also check if there is any add-ins conflicts.

"Do I need the social connector for internal users?" Answer is No.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Yes tried all those steps we are about ready to engage Microsoft as I think it has something to do with the 64-bit version of Outlook.    I have all the latest patches released for Outlook.    Thanks for the information.   I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Make sure cached mode is enabled.make sure windows search is working and indexing status shows 0

make sure you do not have a GPO that disables the use of outlook social connector .

make sure the people pane option is set to "normal"

jimmy

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:01 PM