Auto failover of virtual machine using storage spaces RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I'm currently using hyper-v replication for one of my systems,

got 2 virtual machines that are being replicated between two hyper-v hosts ( both on the same site).

i was asked to make the fail over automatic ( i case of the failure in one of the host, the virtual machines needs to be automatically failover to the second host)

i know this is not possible in hyper-v replication without writing scripts, which is something i would like to avoid.

is it possible to have a similar solution ( 2 copies of the data and automatic failover )   with the new windows 2016 storage replica? or any other feature ? is it can be done with windows cluster somehow?

Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:39 PM

Answers

• i found out why i got this error while trying to remove storage.

you must login as a domain user in order to stop replication

• Marked as answer by Mary Dong Friday, September 2, 2016 12:54 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi gilt111,

Thanks for your post.

Storage Replica is a brand-new feature in Windows Server 2016, which is intended to meet high availability and disaster recovery needs. There was no feature of this kind in Windows so far. It provides block-level, volume-based replication, and the data is moved to another site before it is destroyed by the hurricane or something.

Storage Replica offers totally new disaster recovery and disaster preparedness options. It gives synchronous data protection at two different sites – buildings, or places, or countries. So, if your data is hit by the disaster in one location, you’ll still have it safe and sound in another location.

I'm afraid that may different from the hyper-v replica. Since in the previous version of windows, Windows only offered only replication at other levels: file-to-file replication – with DFSR, applications replication – with log shipping in Structured SQL Server, and VM-level replication – with Hyper-V Replica.

And since the server 2016 still in preview version, we could only refer to the document released by Microsoft now.

You could also check the articles for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-windows-server-2016

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:21 AM
  • thanks for your response.

i'm aware that this is a new feature , i'm planing to use this architecture in the future.

the requirements that i've got is that i need the virtual machine to be highly available ( with something like windows cluster) and i also need two copies of the data.

is the any solution/solutions the can be used together in order to get both ?  

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:09 AM
  • "is the any solution/solutions the can be used together in order to get both ?"

It depends on what you want to spend.  It is actually available today in Windows Failover Clusters, but it requires SAN storage and software from the SAN vendors.  You need to have a SAN configured in both primary and DR site and the SAN vendor software mirrors the data to the remote site.

What 2016 brings to the table is the same ability, only without the need for SAN or SAN software.  It becomes part of the operating system.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:50 PM
  • can you please elaborate ?

what ability of windows 2016 are you referring to?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:11 AM
  • "what ability of windows 2016 are you referring to?"

Storage Replica

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/whats-new-file-storage-services-windows-server-2016?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_SR

For any information about Windows Server 2016, Microsoft has published lots of information in TechNet.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/windows-server-2016-technical-preview-5

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 11:49 AM
  • hi,

sorry for the late response, I've been investigating storage replica for the last couple of days and it seems to be a very nice feature.

but i have one more question :

i would like to have the option to run both production and replica VMs at the same time ( i will stop the replication and put the replica VM in an isolated network). this is something i need to do because i would like to use storage replica in order to have zero downtime software upgrades.

i order to do so i will need to stop the replication , and start it again in the reverse order after i upgrade my system. 

when i try to remove the replication from the Failover manager i get an error :

"cannot remove cluster to cluster replication

the Failver Cluster Manager snap-in does not support creating or modifying cluster to cluster replication.

Please use the storage Replica Windows Powershell cmdlets for this operation"

is it something that is going to be change in the release version of windows server 2016?

and what powershell commands should i use in order to do so?

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:02 AM
  • "i would like to have the option to run both production and replica VMs at the same time ( i will stop the replication and put the replica VM in an isolated network). this is something i need to do because i would like to use storage replica in order to have zero downtime software upgrades."

Not possible.  There will be downtime when switching from source to replica.  Replica was never designed to be an HA solution.  It was designed to be a DR solution.

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:29 PM
  • OK. but maybe if could use it to reduce the downtime to a minimum.

anyhow- how can i stop and start the replication when using a starched cluster ?

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:44 PM
  • If you are using a 'stretch' cluster with Storage Replica (2016), there is no need to have Hyper-V Replica running. Storage Replica in 2016 gives you HA. Hyper-V replica is designed for DR.

If you want to use both Storage and Hyper-V Replica, you will have storage replicating between the two sites of the stretched cluster and the Hyper-V replica will be on a different platform.

At this time, I'm confused by exactly what you are trying to do with which products.  If you have a 2012 R2 cluster using Hyper-V Replica to replicate one or more VMs to another 2012 R2 cluster or to a stand-alone host, there should be no issue with stopping Hyper-V Replica.

Please describe the current configuration you have and what you are trying to do.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:32 AM
  • i'm currently testing two architecture in order to find out which one better suits my needs:

1. hyper-V Replication.

2. stretched cluster using storage replica.

* both running on Windows server 2016 TP5.

the error i've described earlier (also below) is related to trying to stop the replication at the stretched cluster configuration. do you know how can i stop and start replication?  

"cannot remove cluster to cluster replication

the Failver Cluster Manager snap-in does not support creating or modifying cluster to cluster replication"

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:37 AM
  • In a stretched cluster, I do not believe you can stop storage replication - it's required for the stretched cluster to work.

As stated earlier, your plan for using a replica of the VM in the manner you are stating will not work.  You will need to come up with some other method.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:36 PM
  • i found out why i got this error while trying to remove storage.

you must login as a domain user in order to stop replication

• Marked as answer by Mary Dong Friday, September 2, 2016 12:54 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:08 PM