none
Internet Explorer Not There RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm using Windows 8, the internet explorer cannot be searched, when I type INTERNET EXPLORER in search box, it could not find it. It can be seen in the program defaults in control panel, I can open it through clicking the icon in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer". Why is it?

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:44 AM

Answers

• when I type INTERNET EXPLORER in search box, it could not find it.

When I do that I get a match as soon as I complete the first word.   Why is that?...

Press Win-E and Ctrl-e and look at Advanced options.   Partial matches is unchecked, so that explains why I have to type a whole word and not just, say  Int Ex

So, what is being matched?...

Right-click on the match and see:   Unpin from Start   Unpin from Taskbar   Uninstall   Open in new window   All apps

Now I would have to describe the icon involved.   It looks like a MUF IE icon, not a Desktop IE icon.   I only have a Desktop IE icon in my Taskbar, so it looks as if the MUF IE icon can do double duty?  Who knew?

I don't really want to experiment any further with those, especially the Uninstall one.   Who knows what that would do?   Perhaps it is a convenient alternative to using  Windows Features  to uncheck  Internet Explorer 10  in there?   Try using Windows Features yourself to see if it is checked in there.   Then if it is not checked, check it.  Then if it comes back you can do this experiment for us yourself?

Alternatively, when I search for  iexplore.exe  (the full filename regardless of the state of Partial matches) I find the Desktop IE icon.   And its right-click options are:   Pin to Start  Unpin from Taskbar  Open new window  Run as Administrator  All apps

Notice that you could infer from that list that I only have that icon pinned to my Taskbar, e.g. it does not appear in my Start Screen.   Then this would suggest another experiment that I am not too keen on testing for you:  Does finding iexplore.exe help find the other icon, i.e., the MUF IE one?   E.g. say I didn't have the MUF IE icon in my Start Screen but I could find iexplore.exe and I used its Pin to Start, what icon would I then see in my Start Screen and what options would it have?

In any case, doing that search for iexplore.exe could be an alternative to checking in Windows Features.  E.g. if that search worked you could assume that you would find the Internet Explorer 10 item checked in there and if it didn't you would undoubtedly find that it was unchecked in there.   Some even claim that they can't even find the Internet Explorer 10 item in Windows Features at all.   Then, in that case, I would suggest, talk to your administrator.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:06 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• NFx64

You are probably not searching the entire drive.  Is your index control panel set to search all of the OS drive?

BTW you can search for iexplore.exe which is the file name and it should be located here "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:24 AM
  • when I type INTERNET EXPLORER in search box, it could not find it.

When I do that I get a match as soon as I complete the first word.   Why is that?...

Press Win-E and Ctrl-e and look at Advanced options.   Partial matches is unchecked, so that explains why I have to type a whole word and not just, say  Int Ex

So, what is being matched?...

Right-click on the match and see:   Unpin from Start   Unpin from Taskbar   Uninstall   Open in new window   All apps

Now I would have to describe the icon involved.   It looks like a MUF IE icon, not a Desktop IE icon.   I only have a Desktop IE icon in my Taskbar, so it looks as if the MUF IE icon can do double duty?  Who knew?

I don't really want to experiment any further with those, especially the Uninstall one.   Who knows what that would do?   Perhaps it is a convenient alternative to using  Windows Features  to uncheck  Internet Explorer 10  in there?   Try using Windows Features yourself to see if it is checked in there.   Then if it is not checked, check it.  Then if it comes back you can do this experiment for us yourself?

Alternatively, when I search for  iexplore.exe  (the full filename regardless of the state of Partial matches) I find the Desktop IE icon.   And its right-click options are:   Pin to Start  Unpin from Taskbar  Open new window  Run as Administrator  All apps

Notice that you could infer from that list that I only have that icon pinned to my Taskbar, e.g. it does not appear in my Start Screen.   Then this would suggest another experiment that I am not too keen on testing for you:  Does finding iexplore.exe help find the other icon, i.e., the MUF IE one?   E.g. say I didn't have the MUF IE icon in my Start Screen but I could find iexplore.exe and I used its Pin to Start, what icon would I then see in my Start Screen and what options would it have?

In any case, doing that search for iexplore.exe could be an alternative to checking in Windows Features.  E.g. if that search worked you could assume that you would find the Internet Explorer 10 item checked in there and if it didn't you would undoubtedly find that it was unchecked in there.   Some even claim that they can't even find the Internet Explorer 10 item in Windows Features at all.   Then, in that case, I would suggest, talk to your administrator.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:06 PM
    Answerer