computer hibernates when it should be sleeping RRS feed

• Question

• Ive got a Win7 machine here that keeps going into hibernate instead of sleep. When I leave the computer alone for 30 min (what I have sleep set to) or press the sleep button, it will go to sleep (power LED flashes to signify sleep mode) but when I press any key or move the mouse to wake it, it simply shuts off. when I press the power button to turn it back on it says "resuming windows" as if it has been in hibernate mode.

I've got hibernate set to "never," and if I disable hibernate with powercfg or turn off hybrid sleep, it will still have the same issue, except that instead of "resuming windows" when I push the power button to turn it back on it does a standard boot and says that the computer has "recovered from an unexpected shutdown." I have updated all of my drivers and tried everything else I could find online, but nothing changes the outcome. the system specs that may matter are as follows:

Windows 7 ult x64
    AMD Phenom II x6 (1035T)
    whatever motherboard comes with the gateway DX4320-04e
    Intel 520 SSD (port 0 - raid mode) for OS
    raid 0 (ports 4/5) for data

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is normal to resume from sleep mode by pressing your computer's power button. However, not all computers are the same. If you want to set keyboard or mouse to wake up computer, please check the following settings.

1. Go to Device Manager, expand Keyboard and double click your keyboard device. On Power Management tab, make sure "Allow this device to wake the computer" option is selected. Also check the Mouse configuration.

2. Examine the BIOS settings of your computer for power features that disable or reduce power to ports that are used for your keyboard or mouse.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Friday, August 3, 2012 8:29 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 8:21 AM