How do I remove the superfluous 'Edit' button on the Security tab on files/folders in Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am asking how to remove the unnecessary 'Edit' button whenever you want to edit the security of a file or folder.  When I click on the security tab I want it to show the options right there like it did with all previous version of Windows.  I even have to click Edit on the Advanced pages which is both redundant and frustrating.  Why add completely unnecessary steps to something you do 50 times a day?

Thanks

Pete

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• It's not unnecessary. The Security tab doesn't run elevated because it shares UI with other tabs like General, Details, etc. that don't (and shouldn't) require administrator privileges. However, changing the security permissions of an object might require elevation, so by design there must be an "Edit" button, and it must open a new dialog box that is more or less a clone of the Security tab, but with full administrator privileges.

I know this is annoying, but if we want Microsoft to re-architecture the Security tab we will have to wait for a future version of Windows.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience | http://www.wintecnico.com

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:47 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• It's not unnecessary. The Security tab doesn't run elevated because it shares UI with other tabs like General, Details, etc. that don't (and shouldn't) require administrator privileges. However, changing the security permissions of an object might require elevation, so by design there must be an "Edit" button, and it must open a new dialog box that is more or less a clone of the Security tab, but with full administrator privileges.

I know this is annoying, but if we want Microsoft to re-architecture the Security tab we will have to wait for a future version of Windows.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience | http://www.wintecnico.com

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:47 AM
    Answerer
  • You'll notice similar elevation required in other areas, such as Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape).  On the Processes tab, you'll need to elevate your privileges to see tasks running in other users' context.  When you click the Show processes from all users button, Task Manager creates an elevated process of itself, and then terminates.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:42 PM