L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key - 628 Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am moving to a new phone and I'm having some issues with VPN.  I had upgraded my current phone from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile and the VPN connections carried over.  The one from 8.1 connected perfectly fine, but I couldn't delete it (which is fine for now).  When I tried to set up the connection on my new phone with the same version of Windows 10 Mobile (10586.63), it is constantly giving me a 628 error no matter what settings I change it to.  Hopefully someone has a solution!

Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:27 AM

All replies

• You can also download an SSL VPN app from the Store. Have tried it instead of a native client?

Make sure that you are using the correct authentication method.

- user name + password + preshared key

- preshared key

- preshared key + certificate

Saturday, January 23, 2016 7:24 AM
  • I've tried a couple different SSL VPN apps from the store, but none of them allow you to select L2TP or enter a pre-shared key. 

With windows phone 8.1, I would select L2TP and preshared key.  It would then prompt me to enter my credentials after I tried to connect for the first time.  It would then connect perfectly.  If I selected username+password+preshared key, it wouldn't work.

With Windows Mobile 10, I select L2TP with pre-shared key, but I can't unselect the type of sign-in info from username and password.  I'm not sure if that's the issue, but no amount of setting combinations seem to work. 

Sunday, January 24, 2016 9:02 PM
  • What exactly is the setup script for under Automatic configuration?  I'm wondering if this could be a solution.

It seems I get a very similar error when I try to create the connection on Windows 10 (on a PC).  In order to resolve the issue on the PC, I change the Authentication protocol to allow unencrypted password (PAP) and it works perfect.  If only these settings were available on Windows 10 Mobile...

• Edited by dustyb23 Sunday, January 24, 2016 9:28 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 9:12 PM