Calendars with Resources RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use SharePoint calendars to prevent double bookings (the customer doesn't want to use Exchange calendars). I have tried creating a calendar, then adding the resources content type to the calendar, then modifying the event content type to include the Resources column. When I select New Event on the calendar I can see the Resources field, but its empty - there's nothing to choose from. I cannot see, anywhere on the site, a resources list, or anyway of populating a resources list to be used within this calendar.

Can anyone help?

I'm aware Group WOrk Lists were deprecated in 2010 - I haven't tried to activate this site feature. The Resources Content Type is still available to me so I'm guessing it can still be used and this content type is not deprecated.

• Edited by PetyrBaelish Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:45 PM spelling error
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Petry,

Are you create a new one Content Type called Resources? or only create a column?

If you create a new content type, remember select the Parent Content Type for this new column, for example

And after you created this new one content type, go to the Calendar list and add the Content Type.

Best regards.

EP!! Blog: https://keepcalmlovesharepoint.wordpress.com/ MCP SharePoint 2013 | Exchange Admin | Office 365

Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Hi PetyrBaelish,

Are you using SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2010?

In SharePoint Online, the Group Work Lists feature is no longer available as a site feature.

Please provide your detail steps to reproduce this issue.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 1, 2017 7:57 AM
  • I'm using SharePoint Online. I also haven't created a new content type as part of this process.

The process I followed was, on a team site template...

1. Create a new calendar app

2. List settings -> Advanced Settings -> Allow Management of Content Types was set to "Yes"

3. Select the Event content type then "Add from existing site or list columns

4. I can see a list of available columns under the category "List columns" for which there is an option for "Resources". I add this column from the left to the right box and select OK.

5. I go back to my calendar and select New Event on the Events tab of the ribbon. On the new event form there is an option called Resources, but the drop-down is blank:

Resources field on the new event form

My question is, what do I need to do to populate this resources list?

The "Group Work Lists" feature was mentioned above, but this feature has not been activated for this site, so I believe the Resources column that I'm trying to use is not part of this deprecated feature.

Friday, December 1, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Hi Petry,

What is your purpose of use this Content Type?  You can create another column to (choice).

Best regards.

EP!! Blog: https://keepcalmlovesharepoint.wordpress.com/ MCP SharePoint 2013 | Exchange Admin | Office 365

Friday, December 1, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi Eduardo - the purpose is to prevent double bookings on the calendar. My understanding is the Resource content type does this, but a choice column wouldn't (obviously the choice column would need to reference the start/end date/time's and I don't believe that is possible).
    Friday, December 1, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Hi Petry,

Try to use this solution Reservation of resources in SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint 2013 Online in Office 365

Best regards.

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:30 PM