none
How do customize text displayed to right of all summary bars in tracking gantt RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like display the following text next to all summary bars in a baselined tracking gantt:

Scheduled finish date: [Finish]. [Finish Variance] early:late.

Where I display "early" if [Finish Variance] < 0, "late" if [Finish Variance] > 0, and nothing if it's on time.

How would I do this?

Dan
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Gregg's answer implicitly tells you: you have to create your text in a text field; only since you need more text your formula will be longer:

"Scheduled finish date " & [Finish] & ". " & [Finish Variance] & "days " & IIf([Finish Variance]>0,"Late",IIf([Finish Variance]<0,"Early",""))

Haven't tested this for duration formas etc. but this should put you on the right way.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by DChernin Monday, September 19, 2011 2:07 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• Dan,

First, you must create a custom text field with the formula you describe above.  We will call it "Gantt Status".  Use a nested If statement to cover the three outcomes you desire.  Such as:

IIf([Finish Variance]>0,"Late",IIf([Finish Variance]<0,"Early",""))

Remember in Project that a positive number in a variance field is behind schedule.

Use the formula button for task and group summary rows in the custom fields dialog box.

Then, in the Bar Styles dialog box, choose the "Gantt Status" field to display next to the Summary Bars. 

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Thanks Gregg.  But I don't want to simply display "Early" or "Late"; I'd like to concatenate the values of fields as described in my early message.  For example, I'd like to see something like:

"Scheduled finish date: 11/20/11. 3.5 days late"

or

"Scheduled finish date: 11/13/11. 2.5 days early"

Dan
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

Gregg's answer implicitly tells you: you have to create your text in a text field; only since you need more text your formula will be longer:

"Scheduled finish date " & [Finish] & ". " & [Finish Variance] & "days " & IIf([Finish Variance]>0,"Late",IIf([Finish Variance]<0,"Early",""))

Haven't tested this for duration formas etc. but this should put you on the right way.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by DChernin Monday, September 19, 2011 2:07 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Jan.  Your formula doesn't give any compile errors, but when I use it as a Text1 formula and then associate Text1 with Summary Bars, it seems to return an empty string.  Any ideas?

Dan
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Jan's formula works great. As Gregg noted, selecting "Use formula" button in Custom Fields dialog box below the label "Calculation for task and group summary rows" will do it.

Regards. --Ismet

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Thanks, that was the last step.  One more question: is there any way to format the text as red if the [Finish Variance] > 0?
    Dan
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Conditional text formatting is only possible by using VBA code but you can use Graphical Indicators for this purpose. It's in the Custom Fields dialog box.
    Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Dan,

Sorry that I did not pick up on the entire line of text you wanted to concatenate.  The others here have definately answered your question.  These guys are good.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:53 PM