none
Internal Domain name on SBS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have taken over IT for a company that has some issues with their SBS2008 server.  I am setting up a replacement server and noticed that they have an internal domain name with 16 characters to match their registered Domain name with Godaddy.  I have tried to enter the same name but am stopped at the 15th character.

For example, on their current server, the internal domain name says server1.asdfasdfasdfasdf.local, but when I am installing SBS2008 on the new server, it only lets me put asdfasdfasdfasd for the internal domain name.

If I shorten their domain name during the install, how or does it affect their email? Would changing the domain name also change their email address on the 2007 Exchange server that comes with SBS 2008?

I will be unjoining all workstations from their current domain and rejoining them to the new server when I get it installed. I will also need to move over their profiles to the new domain, but before I get started I need to get the domain name worked out.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:28 PM

Answers

• In theory it won't matter. The internal domain name has NO required correlation to the external domain name, so emails will continue to flow properly. In practice, if the SMTP address of any user objects were not set up properly on the current server then some internal replies may break however. The only way to avoid this issue (and many others) is to perform a migration instead of a clean install.
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Agreeing and adding that you can call the internal lan/domain anything you want.  It has nothing to do with the public presentation of the organization.  You can name the internal domain beer.local or abc.beer and it will have no effect on the public website or email addresses.

We prefer to use short internal domain name.  We would prefer abc.local to AmericanBroadcastingCompany.local for the local name, not just because the wizard truncates it, but because it is easier to type.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:44 AM

All replies

• In theory it won't matter. The internal domain name has NO required correlation to the external domain name, so emails will continue to flow properly. In practice, if the SMTP address of any user objects were not set up properly on the current server then some internal replies may break however. The only way to avoid this issue (and many others) is to perform a migration instead of a clean install.
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Agreeing and adding that you can call the internal lan/domain anything you want.  It has nothing to do with the public presentation of the organization.  You can name the internal domain beer.local or abc.beer and it will have no effect on the public website or email addresses.

We prefer to use short internal domain name.  We would prefer abc.local to AmericanBroadcastingCompany.local for the local name, not just because the wizard truncates it, but because it is easier to type.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:44 AM