Win7: Multiple Monitors with Docking Station Saving Desktop Settings RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in IT security. I have 3 monitors -- it could be 6.

I just want to know if Windows 7 Enterprise has a setting that will allow the docked laptop with 3 monitors to keep the desktop window settings and icons and everything about the layout when in 'multiple monitor mode', and then have a different desktop settings and layout for the undocked laptop using it's own screen.

• Docked with multiple monitors? Detect it and revert to saved layout/settings for this desktop.
    • Undocked with just the simple laptop screen? Detect it and revert to saved layout/settings for this desktop.

Does that make sense?

P.S. Does Windows 10 do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Noel Stanford Oveson
    ArchiTech89
    MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Berlin, Germany

• Edited by ArchiTech89 Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:11 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi ArchiTech89,

" revert to saved layout/settings for this desktop"
    According to my research, there is no such configuration on Windows system.
    You may try some third party program.
    Here is a similar case for reference:
    Remember window locations when docked and undocked
    http://superuser.com/questions/593701/remember-window-locations-when-docked-and-undocked
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi ArchiTech89,

" revert to saved layout/settings for this desktop"
    According to my research, there is no such configuration on Windows system.
    You may try some third party program.
    Here is a similar case for reference:
    Remember window locations when docked and undocked
    http://superuser.com/questions/593701/remember-window-locations-when-docked-and-undocked
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Friday, September 16, 2016 9:40 AM