Accidentally disabled DcomLaunch service, black screen with movable mouse RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I accidentally made a terrible mistake by setting the startup of DcomLauch service as disabled (I have my reasons). Now my laptop boots into a blackscreen and a mouse that moves.

I have no access to safe mode or anything except the Command Prompt. But when I try to type "services/services.exe", nothing happens, and when I try services.msc, it says something like "Windows could not open this program's file type, choose a desired program/go online and check". What can I type into CMD that could possibly fix my problem?

Any suggestions? I have no access to any restore discs and I have some important data on there. I can back it up but it would take a while and I use need it daily for work.

Sorry I have no idea what category to put this in. Sorry :c

Also: Startup repair doesn't detect anything. But I use startup repair to access CMD.

I tried cs config DcomLaunch start= auto, and it was executed successfully but when I restart it it returns to the blackscreen and mouse.

This is a repost because I can't move my question. I also don't know where to move it, I don't get any "post this to" locations that this would belong to.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding current situation, would you please try if you can startup by using “Last Known Good Configuration” option, when Press F8 during Windows startup?

Refer to steps here, during this process, please remove your mouse and other external devices, just keep the touch board on your laptop which can be used.

Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue after you install Windows Updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2674065/en-gb

If your laptop is OEM, please check whether you have the manufacture restore option on your keyboard. That’s also an option for you to restore your system.

Hope these could be helpful and keep post.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:09 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:40 AM