none
Idea on using PowerShell to add AD Groups to a NetApp Filer? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add AD groups to the local admin on a NetApp filer. Any suggestions for PowerShell scripts?

Thanks,

Justin Makosky

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• What is a NetApp Filer.  NetApp does not sell "Filers".  Most NAS devices use Unix OS.  Post in NetApp forum for help.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, January 9, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hey jrv:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetApp_filer

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Did you read this?  It is explicit.  It is NOT a Windows system. It is "ONTAP" which is a custom variant of Unix.  It cannot be modified by PowerShell without support from the vendor.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:48 AM
  • You didn't say that in your previous post.  You said something else, which I refuted.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:48 AM
  • I said pretty much exactly that.  It is not called a "filer" by NetApp. "filer" is a generic" there of art used by Unix Admins.  NetApp is a company that produces, among other things, NAS devices.  Historically they have used many OSs but now use a proprietary version of Unix.  Unless NetApp has added Windows support you can only manage the devices with the NetApp management tools.

My intention was to gently coax the OP into doing a little research before asking a very vague question.

The Wiki article will be useful but the Vendor site/forum would be the best starting place.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Here is some more amusing background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetApp

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:58 AM
  • I quote:

'What is a NetApp Filer.  NetApp does not sell "Filers".'

That is wrong.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:04 AM
  • I quote:

'What is a NetApp Filer.  NetApp does not sell "Filers".'

That is wrong.

That is correct.  That is what I posted.  Most of us in a Windows environment do not use the term Filer".  NetApp does not use the term.  Now Unix guys do use the term and, often, in the wrong place.

Any Windows, Unix or other system can be called a "filer" or a "file server".  It is a soft term.

A NAS is a much different beast. It most often is based on proprietary hardware and software.  NetApp uses FreeBSD and runs as a customized kernel.  It does not support Windows PowerShell or any other Windows tools.  You must use the software supplied to manage the system.

NetApp customers can get the command line tools here: http://mysupport.netapp.com/cssportal/faces/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pages/css/home/CssTools.jspx?_afrLoop=29550910962676386&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId="_blank"#!%40%40%3F_afrWindowId%3D%2522_blank%2522%26_afrLoop%3D29550910962676386%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dqdzwp03d1_26

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:33 AM
  • I stand by my statement.  You are wrong.  The original poster was very clear and I understood what he meant.  He did not call for an inaccurate correction.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Ok Ed.  I'll byte.

Filer Smiler.  You are just irked that I don't use your funny nomenclature.  You still fail to tell us how we can use PowerShell to change the Admin settings on a NetApp Storage appliance.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Sorry, but I have to agree with Justin. Ed just because you have not heard a NetApp storage device be referred to as a filer does not mean that is not the case. I have worked in environments that use NetApp for the past 10 years or so and every single one of them has referred to NetApp's storage devices as filers.

It is also a misnomer to just label it as a NAS. Their devices have both NAS and SAN capabilities in the same devices. In fact it is a big selling point.

Justin I have not looked too far into it yet, but have you checked out the NetApp PowerShell Toolkit? Maybe it can provide functionality you need.

NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2

Additionally, maybe this question would be better handled in the NetApp community forums. They would most certainly have an audience more geared to answer this type of question I would think.

Joie Andrew "Since 1982"

Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Ah.  The voice of reason.  Contact NetApp for help. 

I have never called a NAS or SAN or file server a "filer". A "filer" is one of those now non-existent clerical people who retrieved file folders and returned file folders. Microfiche eliminated the need for "filers".

A NetApp appliance and other appliances can hold files but may also hold other things that are not normally called files.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:12 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:04 PM
  • I should also note that NetApp DataOnTap has AD integration capabilities which would allow PowerShell AD CmdLets to manage access to NetApp storage.

All of this is best learned and worked with via the NetApp support site and community forums. 

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Tech-OnTap-Articles/The-Data-ONTAP-PowerShell-Toolkit-PDF/ta-p/86308

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:12 PM