Cortana, New Button and Edge Browser are gone RRS feed

• Question

• My new W10 converted great.Worked really well for one day. Last evening it locked and when it came back I no longer had Edge Browser, Cortana or the new smart button. It now works pretty much like 8.1 since it resorted back to using IE 11, Smart Menu 8 button and no Cortana. How can I get them back? I found a reinstall for what I think is W10 but I would have to reinstall about 30 programs and I am not prepared to do that.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi SND3,

Only the specific apps are lost, right?
    First of all, please run "dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth" to check the health of the system files.
    Then we could refer to the following link to have a fix.
    [Forum FAQ]How to fix built-in Apps that cannot work correctly in Windows 10 Insider Preview
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ca4d19d-66a5-49ee-b8f1-f94fa52eb7c2/forum-faqhow-to-fix-builtin-apps-that-cannot-work-correctly-in-windows-10-insider-preview?forum=WinPreview2014General
    We should run "Get-AppxPackage" to ensure the two apps packages are listed. Then we could run the "register" command to register the two apps.

If the issue persists, we could try to login with another account to have a check. The two apps are built-in store apps, they will be installed automatically for a new created account if the package is healthy.
    Considering this issue occurred recently, we could perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point if it is possible.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:42 AM