locked
Shockwave Flash elements blank in IE11 on Windows 8.1 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I'm an IT admin at a school.  At the start of this year we moved our 1:1 year 7-12 grades and staff to Windows 8.1 x64.On the whole this has been a positive experience, however, we have noticed that randomly but consistently, a number of users are having an issue in IE11 when accessing websites that contain Flash elements.

    Our student administration system has a flash page login and when staff often access the site it displays a blank page (the Flash element is actually just displaying a white box which is coincidently on a white background making the whole page look white.  There are no errors and upon checking the Add-On's the 'Shockwave Flash Object' plugin says it is working, yet not displaying.  Another instance would be a particular banking website login screen that uses Flash and is also blank.

    To overcome the issue the affected user has to reset the browser and then it's all good again.  I have started, reluctantly, suggesting to users that they use Chrome (which works) until something is sorted out.

    This is a really annoying issue affecting over 700 of our users, would appreciate some support or advice from other users if this issue has been seen and/or addressed elsewhere.

    Cheers!

    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:05 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

    Please check and install available Windows Update. Especially make sure this update is installed.

    If the issue still occur, please refer to the below article to troubleshoot your Shockwave player installation:

    Troubleshoot Shockwave Player installation | Windows

    http://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/kb/troubleshoot-shockwave-player-installation-windows.html


    Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, May 19, 2014 1:47 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Hello,

    Thanks for the response.  I have since discovered that it's not just Flash but other plugins that are also affected (eg. Adobe PDFs).  Seems there is something in our GPO (IE Preferences) that is causing the issue.  If the GPO is removed from the user and they reset their browser the issue does not reappear.

    I have since built a skeleton policy and more than halved the number of settings, however, users are still experiencing the problem.  Not sure where exactly I should be looking or what in a GPO could cause plugins to fail loading but I suppose I'll have to try and figure that out on my own!

    Cheers

    Monday, May 19, 2014 2:42 AM