none
How to share a resource (e.g. a computer) between to work resources in MSProject 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a problem in Microsoft project 2010.

My corporation needs to share some resources like computers between 2 or more work resources.

Assume that you are having a computer which is in use by one of the staff in morning and another staff at evening.

How should we Design this situation in MSP2010?

--

regards

Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:16 AM

Answers

• You mus-understood my first point. It doesn't has to be done manually, Resource Usage View pulls in all data of allocation automatically.

Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/view-resource-workloads-and-availability-HA001231829.aspx

Sapna S

• Proposed as answer by PWAdmin Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:35 PM

All replies

• Can you add more to the question, like - when you say you want to use computer in 2 shifts how do you want to show it as a parameter in the project plan. Do you want to track cost against it? or you just want to represent it as being utilized. Do you want to show its allocation etc?

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Can you add more to the question, like - when you say you want to use computer in 2 shifts how do you want to show it as a parameter in the project plan. Do you want to track cost against it? or you just want to represent it as being utilized. Do you want to show its allocation etc?

Sapna S

For Now, Am not about to track costs. I am having just a scheduling problem. I want't schedule the task with these resources, showing utilization and allocation, but not cost tracking.

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:20 AM
  • You can use computer as the Work Resource in your project and assign it to the tasks as normal work resource for pulling out utilization. Machine Resource needs to be operated by a person so make your such tasks as Fixed Units and non-Effort Driven.

Shift 1 (22nd May)

Task 1   - Resources - Priya, Computer1

Task 2 - Resources - Tom, Computer 2

Shift 2 (22nd May)

Task 1   - Resources - Frank, Computer1

Task 3 - Resources - Tom, Computer 2

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:13 AM
  • You can use computer as the Work Resource in your project and assign it to the tasks as normal work resource for pulling out utilization. Machine Resource needs to be operated by a person so make your such tasks as Fixed Units and non-Effort Driven.

Shift 1 (22nd May)

Task 1   - Resources - Priya, Computer1

Task 2 - Resources - Tom, Computer 2

Shift 2 (22nd May)

Task 1   - Resources - Frank, Computer1

Task 3 - Resources - Tom, Computer 2

Sapna S

This will solve my problem temporarily. But am sure after some while I'll need to track costs. And this is not a leggy method to define computers as work resources. Some day the trouble will show it's face!

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:42 AM
  • It won't. Why can't you assign cost to Machine Resource? It gets treated as the Standard way as a Work resource for any calculations.

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Dear Sapna

By the method you proposed, there is one problem unsolved. I thin k I didn't mention that.

I need the MSP2010 to tell me if there is a collision in work resources calendar which won't let some work resources to share a computer (or etc)!

I know I didn't mention this!!!

Do you have any answer for this?

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Hi Ehsan,

It happens that we miss on some things :) initially.

1) You can use Resource availability for Computers to check if they are available at that point of time or not, using Resource Usage View. //Note - if you are using Computers as Work Resource its always easier to check for over-allocation; but that adds up to effort (Work hrs) of task also. Hope you are clear on this.

2) Else if you don't want to track work hrs and cost for Computers then you can use it as material resource where-in you can mention the total number of computers and write a macro to track the availability status; as for material resource you can't track over-allocation by default. Material Resources gets tied to the units.

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Dear Sapna

yes I missed some of initials :)

I might thought sharing a resource between to other resources will imply what I had in my mind :) However I must have mentioned that.

1) Your first hint assumes that I must manually search the project to find the availability of resources. Did you meant that? If yes that will be a time consuming and also boring job which will involve human inaccuracy.

2) Your 2nd says that I must define computers as materials. As I know materials have no calendar in MSproject. So basically the sharing concept can't be satisified.

I also am not a pro to use MSP. So I don't know how to write the macro as you said!

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:24 PM
  • You mus-understood my first point. It doesn't has to be done manually, Resource Usage View pulls in all data of allocation automatically.

Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/view-resource-workloads-and-availability-HA001231829.aspx

Sapna S

• Proposed as answer by PWAdmin Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:35 PM