none
Setup doesn't show installation log file content when installation fails

Question

• I just tried to install SharePoint Server 2010.

The installation finally failed after applying all the updates, stating that installing SharePoint Server 2010 could not be completed due to some Office prerequisite not working alright.

The conclusion sentence proposed me to read the installation log files to get further details on the problem.

The only other thing available from the installation window there was the [OK] button - nothing more.

How am I supposed to read installation log files if there is not even a link available pointing me to those log files?

I'm currently performing a search operation on the whole C:\ drive to find the folder where the setup log files might reside.

Perhaps someone can tell me (and others if they are facing the same problem at installation) where the SharePoint Server 2010 installer puts these log files?

Thanks.

PS: I strongly suggest to add a Hyperlink control to the error message, pointing to the installation log files so that the user can quickly put his hands on finding a solution to the problem.

(A problem, I should add, that I believe could have been known to the installation script *before* it started wasting time on trying to install SharePoint Server 2010.)

Here's the link to the corresponding Connect issue I have created on this.

• Changed type BetterToday Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:44 PM
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:43 PM

Answers

• Found the folder now. It's: C:\Users\Axel\AppData\Local\Temp

The logged error message is:

Error: Command: 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SERVER14\Server Setup Controller\dbwrap.exe' failed with error code: -2068643839. Type: 8::CommandFailed.

Apparently an infamous unknown SharePoint Server 2010 setup error ...

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Friday, December 03, 2010 2:23 AM
    Friday, December 03, 2010 2:22 AM

All replies

• Found the folder now. It's: C:\Users\Axel\AppData\Local\Temp

The logged error message is:

Error: Command: 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SERVER14\Server Setup Controller\dbwrap.exe' failed with error code: -2068643839. Type: 8::CommandFailed.

Apparently an infamous unknown SharePoint Server 2010 setup error ...

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Friday, December 03, 2010 2:23 AM
    Friday, December 03, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Make sure UAC is disabled on your server before you install.

http://www.jppinto.com/series/sharepoint-2010-farm-installation/

Friday, December 03, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried the approach of uninstalling SQL Server 2008 R2 and installing SQL Server 2008. That did it for me. => 5 hours wasted.

I'm trying to install Team Foundation Server 2010 with MOSS, just for the sake of getting a first approach to the software. But I currently get lost in bad installation skripts *grr*

Saturday, December 04, 2010 12:34 PM