none
How to recover expired DPM database RRS feed

• Question

• I've got DPM 2012 trial that I would like to upgrade to a full version, however it expired (and rebooted) before I could reinstall with a product key, and now I am unable to create a backup of the DPM database. I've tried changing the time in the BIOS, but that doesn't help; DPM still won't start. Without the backup I can do the restore and resync.

The expired DPM server was protected by a secondary server, so I have a current backup of the DPM database, however when I restore it to a folder I get two files: MSDPM2012$DPMDB.mdf and MSDPM2012$DPMDB_log.ldf (and not DPMDB.bak). Is there any way to use these files to reinstall DPM (with a product key this time) and retain my backups?

Thank you very much! Doug

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The important key to this is to just maintain the DPMDB and the Storage pool disks, as long you have those, you can recover.

1) From  Add / Remove programs, Uninstall DPM eval and retain replica data.
    2)  Stop the SQL Server (instance) and SQL Agent (instance) and make a copy of the DPM database files.
    3)  Uninstall SQL Server to remove the time bombed version of SQL Server.
    4)  Install DPM RTM and that will re-install SQL.
    5)  Install any DPM updates that you had installed while on Eval so binaries match the DPMDB version.
    6) Now Stop the SQL Server (instance) and SQL Agent (instance) and rename the RTM virgin database files and copy in the saved DPM database files from step-2.  Be sure they are named properly to matcgh the new install database file names and check perms.
    7) Start SQL services and then open the DPM console - you should be back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DougLee57 Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have two choices.

1) Use SQL Management studio to make a SQL backup of the DPMDB, then un-install DPM eval and re-install RTM (+Rollup update if you have one installed on eval).  Once the new install is finished, restore the backup using SQL management studio.

2) Un-install DPM 2012 Eval.  Re-install DPM 2012 RTM (+Rollup update if you had one installed on eval) then take the MSDPM database offline, rename the RTM .mdf and .ldf files, then copy in the backup versions of .mdf and .ldf files.  Be sure to retain permissions (look at perms of RTM files, and make sure restored files have the same perms.  Then bring the DBMDB back online.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:26 PM
  • 1) When I launch SQL Management Studio, I get "Evaluation period has expired." If I roll back the time in the BIOS, I can launch SQL Management Studion, but it won't still won't connect to the DPM database.

So it looks like I need to try option 2.

2a) How do I take the databases offline?

2b) When you say rename the RTM.mdf and .ldf files, you mean to something like ".bak" for safe keeping?

2c) Presumably, when I learn how to take the databases offline, I'll learn how to bring them back online.

Thank you again! Doug

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

The important key to this is to just maintain the DPMDB and the Storage pool disks, as long you have those, you can recover.

1) From  Add / Remove programs, Uninstall DPM eval and retain replica data.
    2)  Stop the SQL Server (instance) and SQL Agent (instance) and make a copy of the DPM database files.
    3)  Uninstall SQL Server to remove the time bombed version of SQL Server.
    4)  Install DPM RTM and that will re-install SQL.
    5)  Install any DPM updates that you had installed while on Eval so binaries match the DPMDB version.
    6) Now Stop the SQL Server (instance) and SQL Agent (instance) and rename the RTM virgin database files and copy in the saved DPM database files from step-2.  Be sure they are named properly to matcgh the new install database file names and check perms.
    7) Start SQL services and then open the DPM console - you should be back in production.

• Marked as answer by DougLee57 Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:49 PM
  • It worked! Thank you, you're a life saver!
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:52 PM