none
How to enable secondary protection on Exchange 2010 DAG? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have our Exchange 2010 servers, using Database Availability Group protected by DPM 2010.

I setup a secondary dpm 2010 server to enable secondary protection, and that works fine on all our servers (DC, sharepoint, file server, and so on), except mail server. i can enable system protection, but i cant see any of the databases.

Is it not possible to enable seconday dpm protection of DAG servers, or am i missing a step?

/Michael
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:19 AM

Answers

• You cannot directly backup a DPM 2010 server to a secondary DPM 2010 server at a remote data center for an Exchange 2010 DAG; you have to stretch the DAG to a secondary data center and protect the Exchange server in the secondary data center with DPM.

The reasoning behind this is that  backup would largely serve the purpose of recovering entire DB to a point-in-time; for recovering a single item in Exchange 2010 you would use the Dumpster and the Personal Archive, so recovery of single items from backup is going to be rare.  Under these circumstances, recovering an entire Exchange 2010 DB across a WAN is going to be expensive and time consuming.  Given this, we expect all PIT recoveries to happen locally, within a data center LAN.  You would use Exchange 2010 DAG to synchronize the recovered server once it is up and running.  So implementing DR with a stretched DAG would give you the best RTO.

• Marked as answer by MrMvp Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:14 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:51 PM

All replies

• I have a test environment with two Exchange 2010 servers. They have a DAG 
    that is protecting the mailbox database. I downloaded the trial version of 
    DPM 2010 to test and verify that it will work for us. I setup the primary 
    DPM server and it is protecting the mailbox DB in the DAG just fine. When I 
    setup the secondary DPM server (offsite) to backup the primary DPM server the 
    secondary DPM server can not see the any resources on the exchange servers 
    other than the system drives. 

I create the protection group on the secondary server. I drill down on the 
    primary DPM server and expand the "Protected Servers". I see the exchange 
    servers, but all I see are the volumes. No exchange databases? 

Is this a limitation of the trial or will DPM not work for what we're trying 
    to do?
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:35 PM
  • You cannot directly backup a DPM 2010 server to a secondary DPM 2010 server at a remote data center for an Exchange 2010 DAG; you have to stretch the DAG to a secondary data center and protect the Exchange server in the secondary data center with DPM.

The reasoning behind this is that  backup would largely serve the purpose of recovering entire DB to a point-in-time; for recovering a single item in Exchange 2010 you would use the Dumpster and the Personal Archive, so recovery of single items from backup is going to be rare.  Under these circumstances, recovering an entire Exchange 2010 DB across a WAN is going to be expensive and time consuming.  Given this, we expect all PIT recoveries to happen locally, within a data center LAN.  You would use Exchange 2010 DAG to synchronize the recovered server once it is up and running.  So implementing DR with a stretched DAG would give you the best RTO.

• Marked as answer by MrMvp Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:14 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:51 PM
  • We want to have the primary DPM server located in the same data center for speed an simplicity.  The primary DPM server will backup more then just our DAG.  Files/SQL/etc.  

The reason we wanted the second DPM server is to have an offsite backup of everything.  Since this offsite backup would be also our main office we could then easily backup long term to tape.

So you're saying we should leave the primary DPM server out at the data center, stretch the DAG to our main office and then back the DAG up directly from our secondary DPM server (at our main office)?  Then in the event that we need to restore, we would restore from our main office to the exchange box at our main office and have that control the DAG until the nodes at the data center are synchronized?

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:36 PM