none
Icon for shortcut on desktop is blank when BMP file is on network drive. When I put the BMP file on the local disk and I browse to it, it displays correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Since many years we are using custom BMP files as icon for one of our programs. That has always worked correctly, until Windows 8 (and Windows Server 2012) came. When we create the shortcut on our desktop and we browse to the network location where the BMP file is and we click ok, we see the icon correctly in the "preview", but as soon as I click OK twice and I go back to the desktop, the shortcut is white, with no icon.
    But when I place the BMP file on the local drive and I browse to it, it displays correctly in the previewer AND on the desktop.
    This behaviour occurs on both Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Who knows how to resolve this?
    Friday, July 26, 2013 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to use:

Ie4uinit.exe –ClearIconCache in cmd for test.

If the issue persists, try to logon with Safe Mode with networking to see if the same issue occurs.

I suspect that may incompatibility issue. Try to disable firewall also.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

I already tried clearing the cache, but I ran "Ie4uinit.exe –ClearIconCache" again, but that didn't work. I also checked the firewall, but on all profiles it was already shut down, so that couldn't be the issue and I also restarted the server (I tested it on a Server 2012 server this time, because it has exactly the same problem as the Windows 8 machine) in Safe mode with networking, but that also didn't solve the issue... The shortcut on my desktop is still white and when I browse for it, it is visible in the preview...

Do you have an idea what we need to do/test now?

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Having exactly the same problem - is there no solution to this ?

Seemed to start happening on Windows 8 - happens on Win 10, 2012 and 2016 servers 

Colin

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:09 AM