Various Issues; Norton 360 not starting, File Explorer not starting, Mozilla Firefox RRS feed

• Question

• It has been three days now that I have been having trouble with Windows 8. It started with not being able to use Mozilla Firefox, it would show the unable to connect to any site and I tried Chrome as well, but it didn't connect. Internet explorer does work however.

When I tried to open Norton to run some scans to see if there was something it could fix, it also wouldn't open.When I also try to open file explorer the whole screen blinks on and off about 15 times but it doesn't open. I tried checking to see if the target was off by going into the file explorer properties. however when I click on properties the screen also blinks a few times and doesn't open. I tried using the task manager to end both tasks and then open them again but that did not work.

I went on safe mode and none of these problems happened, I ran a Norton scan and there weren't any viruses. However once I returned to the normal mode there was still the same problem.

please help!

Monday, August 4, 2014 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, this might be caused by software or service conflict, I suggest to perform a clean boot to solve this, A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update, you can follow this method to perform a clean boot:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.

2.Type msconfig in the search box, and then tap or click msconfig.

3.On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

4.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

5.On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

6.Close Task Manager.

7.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

You can also follow this for detailed steps below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:47 AM

All replies

• LA1527

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, August 4, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for your response!

I tried what you suggested, however once I inputted the command sfc /scannow none of the three messages that the Wiki article talked about were there.

It showed me: "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again."

I don't know how to restart the computer through cmd so I turned off my computer by closing cmd and shutting down the computer. I turned the computer back on and ran the scan again with no luck.

Also, the scanning process only took a couple of seconds, I went to some youtube videos and the process takes more than 30 minutes, is that unusual?

I also tried the other command suggested in the wiki article "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" however it said that it didn't recognize "online" as a command.

I also tried using the system restore program to see what would happen, my idea was that I could bring the computer to a previous state. As the process was running this message appeared:

"System restore did not complete successfully, your computer' system files and settings were not changed. 

Details:

System restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive C:\

The drive might be corrupt. you might want to retry system restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk.

An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x81000204)"

Could this error message be related to the problem?

Thanks again for your help!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:43 AM
  • LA

It could be related try running a chkdsk

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the harACd drive if any bad sectors are found  when chkdsk tries to repair that sector any data available on that sector might be lost.

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
    Do this for each hard drive on your system.
    When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.
    It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:
    Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
    At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
    Double click on the Source column header.
    Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
    Copy/paste the results into your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, this might be caused by software or service conflict, I suggest to perform a clean boot to solve this, A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update, you can follow this method to perform a clean boot:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.

2.Type msconfig in the search box, and then tap or click msconfig.

3.On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

4.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

5.On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

6.Close Task Manager.

7.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

You can also follow this for detailed steps below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:47 AM