none
Master Project Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a Master Project that contains six (6) sub projects.    When resources enter time (in PWA) against tasks within one or more of these sub-projects - does the act of publishing that sub-project "push" the data into the master project - so that when the master project is opened - you are always seeing the latest update?  
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Randy,

Yes, publishing sub project will reflect updated data in Master project

As you know master project is commonly used as a place to review impact of different project on summary level or view consolidated view of different projects. Ideally for smaller project you can publish master project which eventually publish sub projects as well but as number of sub projects grows in to master project publishing job becomes more resource consuming. For larger project I always recommend no to publish sub projects via master project, you can achieve this inserting a column master project Subproject Read Only and setting value as yes for all sub projects. This will also improve the performance during opening and closing master project.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy,

Yes, publishing sub project will reflect updated data in Master project

As you know master project is commonly used as a place to review impact of different project on summary level or view consolidated view of different projects. Ideally for smaller project you can publish master project which eventually publish sub projects as well but as number of sub projects grows in to master project publishing job becomes more resource consuming. For larger project I always recommend no to publish sub projects via master project, you can achieve this inserting a column master project Subproject Read Only and setting value as yes for all sub projects. This will also improve the performance during opening and closing master project.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:26 PM
  • This is an excellent suggestion but I have a question.

What if I want to use the master project to level resources? In this case I would like to be able to update the subprojects when the master project is open. Is there a way around it?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:18 AM