Users with contribute permission don't see list items RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SP2010 list. I've given contribute permission level to a group of users but they don't see list items. When they open the see it says there's no item to show while it has plenty of items.

Any ideas may help

Thank you

Saturday, February 22, 2014 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes I figured out 'Hierarchy Manager' is one of permission levels on publishing site on SharePoint. But that is a site level permission, that means all the users have all the rights on the site. Not sure if that is what you want, they can change a lot of stuff with these permissions. My recommendation is to give this permission only to users who really want to do more than viewing pages, creating/ editing documents. More details on permission levels can be found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/sharepoint-server-help/default-permission-levels-HA101837459.aspx .

For all other type of user on site level its good to have read permissions and when they need to contribute on certain list create another group for that or break inheritance and provide them with the required permissions.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Regards

P

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:21 PM

All replies

• You should check to see if the List has unique permissions, or if the list is configured to only allow users who create items see those items.  Check these links:

Check User Permissions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/check-permissions-for-a-person-or-site-HA101794808.aspx

Only Allow Users to See Their List Items: http://excel.shilor.org/2010/07/how-to-limit-sharepoint-user-to-view.html

Brandon Atkinson
    Blog: http://sharepointbrandon.com

Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Hello,

In addition to Brandon, you should also check the current view of list and verify there is no current user filter applies.

Just go to you list-->modify current view -->move to filter section and verify that there is no [Me] filter on person or group column.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, February 24, 2014 11:28 AM
  • The list is set so that only item creator can see the item.

But I want some users to see all items. What's the permissions I should set?

Monday, February 24, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

First of all you will need to change the list settings (item creator can only see the item) but on default view you can filter it using the 'created by' column as [Me].

To show users all the items irrespective of they created it or not, create a separate view for them and they will be able to view it. I have achieved the same for many of my list by adding this other view to a page and giving only those people who need access to it. Also, i created a small navigation item for this view so its easy for them to access it.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.

Regards

P

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Thank you But all users will be able to change the view and have access to all items. Is there any way to prevent this? Currently I have given 'Hierarchy Manager' permission level to users that I want to see all items. But it's more than what they actually need.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

What is 'Hierarchy Manager' permission level?? Never heard of this. and why will you give any permission more than contribute to all users who basically want to submit/ edit items to this list?

With Contribute permissions these users will be able to add/edit items but will not be able to make changes to the view.

Regards

P

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:59 PM
  • 'Hierarchy Manager' was one of permission levels on my sharepoint environment from the beginning and since I'm not an experienced user, I just work with it. When I check details of it permissions, it is some thing more than contribute and less than full control. However.

The list is configured to show users only their own items. So users with contribute permission just see items they have created.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I figured out 'Hierarchy Manager' is one of permission levels on publishing site on SharePoint. But that is a site level permission, that means all the users have all the rights on the site. Not sure if that is what you want, they can change a lot of stuff with these permissions. My recommendation is to give this permission only to users who really want to do more than viewing pages, creating/ editing documents. More details on permission levels can be found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/sharepoint-server-help/default-permission-levels-HA101837459.aspx .

For all other type of user on site level its good to have read permissions and when they need to contribute on certain list create another group for that or break inheritance and provide them with the required permissions.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Regards

P

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:21 PM