HELP, PLEASE!! How do I get my downloads to go to my Desktop instead of into some convoluted filing system that STINKS!?!?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone!

Sorry to sound so desperate, but I'm going wacko trying to get my brand new laptop PC with OS Vista Home 

Premium to behave like the more sensible desktop PC I have with OS WindowsXP, SP-2.  All I want, is to be 

able to download something....have it end up on my DESKTOP, (where it belongs IMHO), so that I can scan it

with my AV program before I open it.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  I have tried for over a month to try to

understand how or why my downloads end up where they do, all I know is that I have to SEARCH for unending,

wasted hours for every blasted one of them!

I'm praying that there is some way to turn off this ridiculous downloading system, and that it will be simple to

fix.  In the meantime, I'm going to remove an update for my anti-virus program that somehow ended up in my

MUSIC Folder Sad

I'm also sorry for yelling....please forgive me.....as you know, I'm going wacko!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gratefully,

Spookie

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 5:36 AM

All replies

• You can either change the folder location of create a shortcut on your desktop to it.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:46 AM
  • I presume your using IE7?  

Have you tried Firefox instead?

Theres an add on that allows for faster downloads on it and you can tell it where to download each file.

Lot easier than IE7 which i admit i hate an dont really use.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:49 AM
  • Are you downloading with IE7?

To download a file to your desktop (you may want to consider downloading to the Downloads folder which is new in Vista) when prompted with the Save As window for the download you will have a Browse Folders button to the lower left of the window. If the folders are already open you will have a Hide Folders button instead. With folders open drag the scrollbar to the top of the list where the name of your user will appear. Click the triangle next to your user name and then select the Desktop folder under it. This will put the file being downloaded on your desktop.

HTH,

Tim

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:27 PM