Invalid Drive - Error 1327 RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that with our Vista and Windows 7 clients, many application installations throw an "error 1327 - Invalid drive F:/" message on our machines. In our case, we've found it's because we redirect client folders, both My Documents and Favorites to network drives. The only way around this, so far, is one of two ways:

1. Change the Shell Folders in the registry back to the default C:\ locations
    2. Log in as a Local Admin

Even though I'm a Domain Administrator, it appears that the application just doesn't like the redirection to a network drive. Has anyone found a way around this behavoir without resorting to the above actions?

Orange County District Attorney
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• Greetings Sandy Wood,

It really depends on what specific software are you trying to install?, then I know for some applications there are patches available from Microsoft to address the problem.

It will also work pretty well if you copy the installer off the network and onto the local machine and run it that way.

Regards,
    Harish
    Friday, August 7, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hello Harish,

I've seen this behavior on many different pieces of software. The latest was Adobe but it's happened many times on various Vista and Windows 7 systems I have. I don't recall seeing it with any of the Microsoft packages however. In each case, I've been able to get around it by logging in as a local admin and it installs fine. We do redirect our user's My Documents but I would think the installer would see that a redirected drive has the correct permissions. We've tried it on the local machine as well and the same result happens each time. It would be nice to have some sort of installer wrapper that would force, at gunpoint, the installer to deal with a network drive the same as a local drive.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I just wanted to add a follow-on to this message. 

I got the same error when attempting to install the latest Win7 Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.x on my Win7 machine.  I tracked it down to me having changed my IE favorites "shell folder" to a network drive.  (I share favorites across multiple machines/users).  Once I changed the favorites "shell folder" back to a C:\... directory everything worked.  Note:  The location that I had it set to was valid, the favorites worked, the installer just didn't like any network drives.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:32 AM
  • I finally resorted to creating a batch file that changes the specific shell folders to the C: drive and then changes them back to our network locations again for those apps that cannot seem to deal with redirected folders. A bit extra clicking but it's functional.

• Proposed as answer by CodeAuthority Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:10 PM
  • We had the same problem installling Adobe Reader 9.3 on Windows 7 x64. I found Sandy's advice to be accurate. The installer does not like the network drives, no matter if they are accessible or not! The only solution we found was to temporarily change the network mapped path to something vaild on C: and then change it back after the install went perfectly. Hope this helps someone else out.

JT
    Code Authority Enterpise Solutions
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I ran into this on a Windows 7 machine and the only shell folder I had to change (in HKCU - Shell Folders and User Shell Folders) was Favorites, which is stored in a mapped drive H:\Favorites. The H: drive is set as the home folder in AD. I changed this to a UNC path and the installer works.  Now, if I could only get it to add it as an UNC automatically in the first place.

Friday, April 2, 2010 9:19 PM