none
Setting baseline to obtain an EVA curve. RRS feed

• Question

• My main purpose for using Project is to obtain an EVA (earned value analysis) to track our man hours over time to see where we are deviating from our baseline. My question is what columns do i need to have filled in before I set my baseline i.e. baseline work, baseline start, baseline cost etc.... The reason I am asking is I am not getting a curve or any other lines except for the occasional line across the bottom. Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

1. Build your schedule (Tasks with work\duration estimates, build your network of task relationships, assign resources, level your project so that resources are not overallocated, etc) (Make sure that your resources all have Standard Rate values)
    2. Save the baseline (in 2010: Project | Set Baseline | Set Baseline and then pick a baseline (likely the first one without hte number on it)
    3. at the end of a status period (often 1 week, sometimes 2 weeks or a month depending on the duration of your project) update the tasks with real status information (best case is the timescaled actual work in the Usage view for each assignment on each task.)
    4. Set the Status Date (in 2010: Project | Project information set the status date to the date as of which you have collected the status info you just entered in step 3)
    5. Reschedule any incomplete sections of tasks that fall before the status date (in 2010: Project | Update Project then select "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after" and pick the status date and click OK)
    6. Now you should see some EV data.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by RayFlores Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:41 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

1. Build your schedule (Tasks with work\duration estimates, build your network of task relationships, assign resources, level your project so that resources are not overallocated, etc) (Make sure that your resources all have Standard Rate values)
    2. Save the baseline (in 2010: Project | Set Baseline | Set Baseline and then pick a baseline (likely the first one without hte number on it)
    3. at the end of a status period (often 1 week, sometimes 2 weeks or a month depending on the duration of your project) update the tasks with real status information (best case is the timescaled actual work in the Usage view for each assignment on each task.)
    4. Set the Status Date (in 2010: Project | Project information set the status date to the date as of which you have collected the status info you just entered in step 3)
    5. Reschedule any incomplete sections of tasks that fall before the status date (in 2010: Project | Update Project then select "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after" and pick the status date and click OK)
    6. Now you should see some EV data.

• Marked as answer by RayFlores Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:41 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Do i need to add columns such as baseline start, baseline cost etc... or do i just use the standard shown columns?
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Ray --

In addition to Brian's excellent answer, you must include resources in your project and specify a Standard Rate of at least $1.00/hour for each resource, and you must also assign resources to tasks in the project.  Then you can save the Baseline for the project.  Beyond this, you must also enter progress in your project before you can capture relevant EVA information. Hope this additional bit helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:32 PM
  • You can add them if you like so you can see them in your views but their visibility is not requried. The act of performing step 2 in my list above saves a copy of the current schedule info (start, finish, work, duration, cost, etc) into their Baseline counterparts. That baseline is then used as the point of comparision for doing EV.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:34 PM
  • When I save all my values with a resource say like Worker I set the max units to 10000 in case I need 10 workers that day and I set the standard pay to $1 when I look at my schedule it only allows me to have 10 hours for each day. Then when I set the baseline all my values change. My start day is set for 11-7-2011 and the status date is today. I havent yet even entered any actuals. Whats going on?
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Im not sure what is happening.

10 workers would be 1000%. 10,000% would be 1000 workers.

What do you mean when you say "it only allows me to have 10 hours each day?"

What do you mean when you say "when I set the baseline all my values change?"

What values change?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:02 PM
  • On task usage it only shows 10 hrs per day and it changes the values of work, duration, start, and finish.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:17 PM
  • before

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:26 PM
  • after

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:27 PM