Replacement copy of Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just purchased a new HP Notebook and of course they install all kinds of bogus software on the PC.  Since I have a license on the bottom of the laptop, is there any way I can get a copy of Vista so that I can format and install the PC according to my terms?
    Monday, July 28, 2008 4:14 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

This license on the bottom of your laptop is an OEM product key. It can only be used with the system preinstalled by HP on your computer. If you would like to install Windows Vista from scratch, you cannot use this product key. You need to buy a retail product key. In addition, normally HP will not provide you with a retail Windows Vista DVD. You should contact Microsoft Customer Service to buy a retail product key and the DVD.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400 available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:22 AM

All replies

• You can download from MSDN if you have a subscription. But, seem you buy from an OEM, you have to send back your notebook to the Service Centre. HP have HP Service Centre, try to locate at HP.com.

If you equiped with Restore CDs / DVDs, you should can restore the original factory state.

You can request a Windows Vista DVD (if your notebook is licensed) from HP. See the support site from HP.com.

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:38 AM
  • How do I request a DVD from HP?  I have the recovery CDs, but I don't want to use those.  I want to install Vista from scratch.  My laptop does have a license on the bottom, so all I need is the DVD.  Can you please tell me how to request it.

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:42 AM
  •  

Hi,

This license on the bottom of your laptop is an OEM product key. It can only be used with the system preinstalled by HP on your computer. If you would like to install Windows Vista from scratch, you cannot use this product key. You need to buy a retail product key. In addition, normally HP will not provide you with a retail Windows Vista DVD. You should contact Microsoft Customer Service to buy a retail product key and the DVD.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400 available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:22 AM