none
Problem with clients after network outage RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 3-node Lync 2013 Front End pool with mirrored SQL backend.  We use it primarily for IM and some internal conferencing.  We do not use Lync for telephone service.

We experienced a partial power outage in our datacanter.  I believe that all network communications were interrupted for 10-15 minutes, but none of the Lync servers or the back end SQL servers went down.  Once networking was restored, we are able to successfully search for IM recipients but the contact list is unavailable.  When a client logs in, a message is displayed "A network or server issue is temporarily limiting features.  Your contacts list is unavailable but you can search for contacts and make calls..."  The client is able to search for a contact and IM them, but their actual contacts list is unavailable.

I have tried restarting the back end SQL servers, but the problem persists.  Checking Get-CsDatabaseMirrorState after each SQL restart shows that the same SQL server (state om mirror) is listed as Principal on each database, even after the mirror was restarted.  Are the FE servers unable to communicate with the back end SQL servers?

Any idea what I need to do to get these working normally again?

Thank you very much for your help.
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Logan Burt,

This issue is more related to the connectivity between FE pool with backend SQL Server. 

For this issue, I suggest you could follow the steps below to check this:
    1. Check whether all the SFB Services are running in each FE Servers.
    2. Check the Event Log on the FE Servers and SQL Server. 
    3. Run Get-CsUserDatabaseState to check the status of a user/pool database instance, details about this please refer to following blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nexthop/2011/04/25/haiku-96/ 

In addition, you could also refer to the official document to use Best Practices Analyzer to scan your deployment: Using Best Practices Analyzer to scan your Lync Server 2013 deployment for potential issues

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Logan Burt Friday, June 21, 2019 11:02 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Thank you very much.  I checked the services again this morning, and this morning the "Lync Server Front-End" service was stuck at "Stopping" on two of the three FE servers.  I was unable to kill its process in Task Manager, so I restarted both of the servers that were so affected.  After they restarted and the Lync services started on each of them, my client showed green and I could see presence information.  A few minutes later, my contact lists appeared again.

Thank you so much for your help.

Friday, June 21, 2019 11:07 AM