none
Defer Feature Update throw GPO in Windows 10 Millennium (ver.1607)

Question

• Hi,

I set up “Defer Feature Update” throw GPO which works fine. After upgrading (I forced upgrade) one Windows 10 v.1511 to Millennium (VER. 1607)the “Defer Feature Update” setting in Update>Advanced options stopped working. It gray out and doesn’t give me the options to set up it even manually.

Is the any way to fix it? Is there some new policy Definition for Windows 10 VER. 1607  Millennium I have to upgrade to in my GP Store on a Windows 2012 DC Server?

Thank you in advance.

• Edited by alilbas Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:24 PM

Answers

• It does not destroy Group Policy settings.  You can simply overwrite the existing ADMX and ADML files and the settings will still apply to 1511, though there is one exception (that I know of) and that's the one you are asking about.  The Group Policy setting “Defer Upgrade and Updates” has been completely removed and replaced by “Select when Feature Updates are received” and “Select when Quality Updates are received.” Please refer to the following link for details:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2016/08/windows-update-business-group-policy-changes-windows-10-1607/

I usually back up my group policy central store before overwriting the files just in case something goes wrong.  Fortunately, I've never had to revert back.

• Marked as answer by alilbas Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:29 PM

All replies

• Starting with your second question.  Yes, there are new administrative templates for the anniversary update (v1607).  The file is called "Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 ADMX.msi" and is located at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430.  You will need to update the admx and the correct language adml files in your Domain Controllers central store and allow replication.  You can then review all the new policy settings in Windows10andWindowsServer2016PolicySettings.xlsx.  As for Defer Feature update, check the "Windows Components/Windows Update/Defer Windows Updates.  There is a sub option in that setting called "After a feature update is released, defer receiving it for this many days."  Check the value of that.  Also, there is a note at the end of that setting, "Note: If the "Allow Telemetry" policy is set to 0, this policy will have no effect."  Hope that helps.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Thank you!

At this point since all other Windows 10 computers do not upgraded, is ADMX.msi for the v.1607 compatible with v.1511 and does not destroyed Group Policy setting on these rest computers?

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:19 PM
  • It does not destroy Group Policy settings.  You can simply overwrite the existing ADMX and ADML files and the settings will still apply to 1511, though there is one exception (that I know of) and that's the one you are asking about.  The Group Policy setting “Defer Upgrade and Updates” has been completely removed and replaced by “Select when Feature Updates are received” and “Select when Quality Updates are received.” Please refer to the following link for details:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2016/08/windows-update-business-group-policy-changes-windows-10-1607/

I usually back up my group policy central store before overwriting the files just in case something goes wrong.  Fortunately, I've never had to revert back.

• Marked as answer by alilbas Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:29 PM
  • Thank you.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:46 PM