Windows Update And System Hangs At Login RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first post so please let me know if I commit any sins not committed by seasoned posters. 

I have this popping up on several machines.  The fix is either to

1 MS FixIT Tool

2 Manually Rebuild Updates

3 Upgrade Install

Depending on mileage of each fix.  Option 3, affectionately referred to as Pave and Repaint, in our office is a last resort. 

Dell Optiplex 9020

We get this error on a machine. 

Application Error  1000

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_wuauserv, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000053290
    Faulting process id: 0x19b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d026931e58d2f3
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 849482bc-934f-11e4-8764-180373c84105

Mostly that is not an issue but on about 1/3 of the time it then leads to a spam of Service Control Manager Errors in the System Log.

System Log Error 7031

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

System Log Error 7032

The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Update service, but this action failed with the following error:
    An instance of the service is already running.

This continues for a page or  two of System Logs.

The PC is then unresponsive to login requests and only a hard boot will allow the PC to be active.  The event logs will sometimes have a gap from when the PC stopped responding.  The unresponsiveness is about every other day. 

What I would like to know is how to get ahead of this and set up the PC's to have the least risk of windows update problems.  I know I will not be able to avoid WU problems but this is occuring about 1/3 of our machines and taking a lot of our time. 

I am wondering if maybe the Solution Center Pop Up has urged some users to inadvertently turn on Windows Defender (We Run Trend Micro Worry Free and disable defender)  and maybe it is somehow causing this?

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply. How about your problem now? According to your description, this is Windows Update relevant service stopped unexpected problem. Generally speaking, this problem probably caused by 3rd service or Program, please check your system if there is any change recently. In addition, is these system installed any 3rd security software? It would be better to disable them temporarilly for test to fix it.

In addition, you can try to perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem caused by 3rd program or service. Refer to the link below for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If there is any progress, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 19, 2015 10:41 AM
    Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:21 PM