What can a user (or an admin) do when SharePoint 2007/Moss decides that files opened by a user should be read only? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who is in the current situationi:

site > user has full control

doc lib > user has full control

folder > user has full control

folder > user has full control

excel spreadsheet > user has full control

When the user navigates to the folder with the document, she checks the file out for change and sharepoint 2007 MOSS says that she has it out for change.

She then clicks on the document

Excel opens the document. However, Excel says that it is Read-Only.

When she attempts to change and check it back in, Excel refuses to save the document, telling her to save the document as a new file.

What are some things we can try to resolve this issue?

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• Are these any particular kind of Excel files. I seem to remember an issue with Excel 2003 files.

You seem to be indicating the problem is only with Excel files. Is that correct?

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:26 PM
  •  

I think its read only issue. if you click on a document instead of selcting edit from the pull down, it opens read only mode.So try to open the document using the Edit option from pull down.

Hope this help

thanks

-ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:26 PM
  • The user has only indicated that she has had this problem with Excel spreadsheets. It is Excel 2003 and SharePoint 2007 MOSS. 

Other users have reported problems with SharePoint reporting that an Excel spreadsheet was out for change to someone when the person really didn't have it out for change. In these cases, usually I can display the doc lib in explorer view, open the document, and Excel lets me for a change in the out for change status.

However, with this user, SharePoint actually showed the item was checked in, then she explicitly checked it out (and SP shows it that way), and then clicks on the title link to open in Excel.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thank you - I will ask her to try that .
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:47 PM